Thread: Shop Fire - Almost

Shop Fire - Almost

I had some hot embers smoking on top of the lower ceramic guide on my bandsaw when cutting some wet white oak sections for turning. The smoke came up through the throat plate and caught my attention, and I then lifted the plate and saw the smoking red ember and removed it. I continued to cut the blank, and took it over to my lathe. A little later, I smelled a burnt odor and checked again and found a larger ember glowing in the same spot. Needless to say, this was the first time in about 20 years of using the bandsaw (at least 15 with the ceramic guides) and never having any sign of a hot ember. I am glad that the wood was very wet and smoldered and did not burst into a flame, but it was definitely increasing and could have fallen onto some dry dust and shavings on the floor.

I did open the lower door and made sure that no embers had fallen into the lower housing. Just a good warning that I want to share. I did go buy a new fire extinguisher and installed it to be ready for the next time.

Thanks for the information and warning.

It seems like I read a story pretty often about an almost fire in a shop. It makes me cringe to think that I could lose my shop and tools.

Everyone should have a very good extinguisher or two in there shop. Everyone should know how to use it. I was lucky because at work we all got training on a real fire and how to put out various types of fires. Note: the same goes for your kitchen.

Having a smoke detector or heat detector in your shop, kitchen, shop and house is a really good idea. I have a monitored system which includes CO, heat, smoke, and security sensors. I sleep better at night having the system...not real cheap but for me worth it.

Blog Entries
    I would want to look into what it is that is causing so much friction as to light the spoil up in the first place. Blade dull, bearings shot? Something is getting seriously hot ;-) Dust collection below the table would avoid the collection of spoil. Glad you were in the shop and hadn't just made that "last cut" before going in for lunch.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This is to reply to above 2 comments. I had a smoke alarm in my previous shop and had it go off often with dust ( that is another problem). There was a small amount of smoke and doubtful that a smoke detector would have signaled alarm unless it was mounted right in the area of bandsaw.

The friction was caused by cutting a chainsawed tree section that put a lot of side pressure on the guides and the wet sawdust built up on top of the ceramic guide. The 1/2" 3 tooth blade has lost some of the set and now has drift but seemed to "steer" making the 12"D cut in 1 to 6" thick wet oak. I do have a 4" dust duct connected to the lower cabinet (added to 1950 or so model Rockwell/Delta 14"), but that does not catch all the dust.

This is to reply to above 2 comments. I had a smoke alarm in my previous shop and had it go off often with dust ( that is another problem). There was a small amount of smoke and doubtful that a smoke detector would have signaled alarm unless it was mounted right in the area of bandsaw.

The friction was caused by cutting a chainsawed tree section that put a lot of side pressure on the guides and the wet sawdust built up on top of the ceramic guide. The 1/2" 3 tooth blade has lost some of the set and now has drift but seemed to "steer" making the 12"D cut in 1 to 6" thick wet oak. I do have a 4" dust duct connected to the lower cabinet (added to 1950 or so model Rockwell/Delta 14"), but that does not catch all the dust.

Wow, glad that wasnt worse. IMO having a fire extinguisher in the shop is a big MUST!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!