Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell tempered glass from polycarbonate

How to tell tempered glass from polycarbonate

I bought a couple of these doors: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masonite-...7315/100075801 which I'm finishing with Waterlox Marine. The borg's website says they have tempered glass, but I can't tell by the "tap" test that it is in fact glass.

Because I'm using Waterlox Marine, which has mineral spirits in it, I'm concerned about the "glass" with the overflow of Waterlox on it. If its actually polycarbonate, I've read that MS can cloud it up. Is there a way I can test to make sure it's actually glass, other than trying to scratch it?

Tempered glass is expected to have a stamping (etching) on it during manufacture. I personally have always thought that these doors from HD are not tempered.
    Probably not poly tho.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aperahama View Post
    Tempered glass is expected to have a stamping (etching) on it during manufacture. I personally have always thought that these doors from HD are not tempered.
    Probably not poly tho.
    It does have a stamping on it, but I can't read it for the life of me.

If it does cloud up with MS you can take them back.

Take one out and look at the edge ... AFAIK tempered glass is green on the edge.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

There are glues intended for polycarbonate. They're mostly solvent, and dissolve the plastic at the joint to make the bond. I'm pretty sure they don't dissolve glass -- darn near nothing attacks glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Take one out and look at the edge ... AFAIK tempered glass is green on the edge.
    Unfortunately, that's not possible unless I want to destroy the stile and rails.

Blog Entries
    Scratch test with a steel point in a corner of the pane?
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Scratch test with a steel point in a corner of the pane?
    Trying to scratch tempered glass is not a great approach. Tempered glass is strong because the surfaces are in high tension. If the surface gets a stress riser -- aka scratch -- the panel is likely to collapse into a pile of chiclets.

They are almost definitely using glass. Poly carbonate turns an off color after long exposure to UV, sort of clouds and yellows, not a good feature in a door. I'd be pretty surprised if masonite were using anything but glass in a door.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Throw a rock at it. If it shatters into a thousand little pieces then it's temper glass. Buy new glass.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not possible unless I want to destroy the stile and rails.

So you have no way to replace one if it breaks?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I had a door like that many (~20) years ago. It was single pane tempered glass. I think by law it has to be tempered but I'm not sure if the glass is that far from the floor. Anyway the glas can be replaced. You remove the 1/4 round trim on the in-side to replace the glass. The outside trim around the window (what's it called?) is part of the respective rails and stiles.
    Gary

Replacing said glass would probably cost more than the door.

Blog Entries
    If you tap on tempered glass with a ring or other metal object you will get a click. Do the same on polycarbonate and you will get more of a clunk.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute