Page 9 of 118 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Holloway View Post
    I think he means the gantry carries the tube.
    Perhaps, but that would have no affect on rastering speed.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

The really big issue is 99% of the folks on here use a laser and know what it can do and not do.

The GlowForge is mass marketed to people who think its cool to have not only just a laser but 3D one at that. They know nothing about lasers and only believe what they read on the GF website and marketing. When they do finally get one they discover that some of the features work, some don't and they really don't understand. The purchaser who is planning on making money is soon disappointed.
    The phone calls and emails start, the FAQ gets expanded the Help Forum is crowded with users that have the same complaint and so on. I don't see a happy ending. I do see a lot GF machines headed to Craigslist.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have a pretty big problem with Glowforge. They've been marketing the laser as a 'home accessory.' See the video where the family has the laser set up in the kitchen with no visible exhaust and children using it. I think we're going to hear about somebody burning down their house, or poisoning themselves by not properly exhausting.

I keep getting people asking me if it's legit and my standard response is that I would never buy one.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

4. Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    The announcement notes that there are no public beta units (i.e., schools, makerspaces) in the field. There are private beta testers, which have signed NDAs.
    Not Delivered Anytime ?
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap

Its beginning to look that way

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Not Delivered Anytime ?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I believe this thread was supposed to be about the shipping times but it got a little side tracked. I have been watching the whole GF thing closely. It is very interesting to me. Here is a post from GF to a user question on facebook about shipping dates. This was posted on March 19, 2016.:

"Thanks so much for asking Matt. Sorry that wasn't totally clear up front.

The first Glowforge beta units are preparing for shipment now. Based on beta feedback, we'll see if we can ramp production immediately, or whether we need to fix any issues befo
    re increasing production.

The next step will be to ship all of our pre-orders. All things being equal, we'll ship based on the order date. Our plan is to have all the units that were ordered before 10/24/15 shipped in the first half of 2016.

If you placed an order after 10/24/15, we are planning to ship in later this year, after our crowdfund units have been shipped. Once we hit full production, we can start shipping units very quickly.

When your unit is almost ready to ship, we will email you to get your shipping address. Once you provide us with the address, we'll ship your Glowforge shortly, so that's how you'll know when it's ready.

Unfortunately we don't have more specific information at this point, since shipping dates depend on whether our early units meet our quality tests and get positive user feedback. We're going to ship as fast as we can, while making sure that the product is terrific!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Lawrie View Post
    I believe this thread was supposed to be about the shipping times but it got a little side tracked. I have been watching the whole GF thing closely. It is very interesting to me. Here is a post from GF to a user question on facebook about shipping dates. This was posted on March 19, 2016.:

"Thanks so much for asking Matt. Sorry that wasn't totally clear up front.

The first Glowforge beta units are preparing for shipment now. Based on beta feedback, we'll see if we can ramp production immediately, or whether we need to fix any issues befo
    re increasing production.

The next step will be to ship all of our pre-orders. All things being equal, we'll ship based on the order date. Our plan is to have all the units that were ordered before 10/24/15 shipped in the first half of 2016.

If you placed an order after 10/24/15, we are planning to ship in later this year, after our crowdfund units have been shipped. Once we hit full production, we can start shipping units very quickly.

When your unit is almost ready to ship, we will email you to get your shipping address. Once you provide us with the address, we'll ship your Glowforge shortly, so that's how you'll know when it's ready.

Unfortunately we don't have more specific information at this point, since shipping dates depend on whether our early units meet our quality tests and get positive user feedback. We're going to ship as fast as we can, while making sure that the product is terrific!"
    I still see a lot of preparing, planning, next steps, we'll see, going to, and conditionals. Pretty much a pacifiying message.
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 03-23-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

There is a similar startup company that is going to market a car that gets 85mpg and only costs $6800. Google "Elio" and read all about it. Thousands and thousands of potential customers have paid $600 each (IIRC) for the privilege of being among the first buyers. Some have been waiting for many years now. Their website and marketing efforts have improved over the years but the delivery status appears to be the same as it was when the product was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    There is a similar startup company that is going to market a car that gets 85mpg and only costs $6800. Google "Elio" and read all about it. Thousands and thousands of potential customers have paid $600 each (IIRC) for the privilege of being among the first buyers. Some have been waiting for many years now. Their website and marketing efforts have improved over the years but the delivery status appears to be the same as it was when the product was announced.
    I'm old enough to remember the first time fusion power was described as "about 25 years away". Still is, near as I can tell.

(Note that I'm not counting solar power, which I suspect would be a lot less popular if it were known by its technical description: "thermonuclear". )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

While I've been relatively neutral about Glowforge, THIS is the scariest thing I've read so far:

...shipping dates depend on whether our early units meet our quality tests and get positive user feedback.
    Ummm... Just me, but if I was building something to sell, I'd probably do a little quality testing before I asked someone to buy the thing...

--that this much time has passed, AND the 'beta units' haven't even been produced or at least delivered yet, AND, apparently, future production appears dependent on whether the beta units survive a 90 day warrantee (<conjecture), THEN all I can say is, methinks GF may have bitten off more than they can chew...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

(Note that I'm not counting solar power, which I suspect would be a lot less popular if it were known by its technical description: "thermonuclear". )
    Fossil fuels, like solar panels, also got their energy from the Sun. ;-)
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

All I can say is my Chinese 3D printer works just fine and it was delivered on time. with a warranty that I saw before I bought it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Fossil fuels, like solar panels, also got their energy from the Sun. ;-)
    Yeah, and you see how well that worked out for the dinosaurs...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I like it when these threads take on a humorous note.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Yeah, but at least with solar, the reactor is in someone else's backyard
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5