Page 4 of 118 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

1. Quite a few people who pre-ordered one of these things were under the impression that shipping of actual production units would begin in December.

http://community.glowforge.com/t/shi...-next-year/605

According to a local business article in the Seattle times, all units will be shipping until early next year?

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ing-record/115

Is this correct?

I guess I missed the * after the word December.
    Uhmmm...that better NOT be the case.
    Ugh.. what? I was thinking when they said they would roll out units and December that I would get mine around January at the latest. If its much past January I might have to just cancel I seriously cant wait that long I have work for this thing to do..
    Gee, I wonder how they got that idea?

u26K0t6.png

[That's what the order page looked like when they launched their pre-order campaign in September.]

They did hedge that fairly early on to clarify that just the "first units" would ship in December. Here's what the CEO said on November 23:

When we launched, we said “First units shipping December 2015”, and then went on to say that units purchased before October 23 would ship in the first half of 2016. Now the first shipments are about to happen! (Stay tuned for an email in a few days on how you can apply to get one of the first few beta units). However, we’ve heard from a few people who thought that all the shipments would happen in December. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. To make sure your final Glowforge is as good as it can possibly be, we’re going to start by shipping a small number of beta units starting in two weeks. We’ll build the next set of units on a small test line over the course of the month. Then, the majority of units will roll out in the first half of next year.
    According to that Geekwire article, none of that has happened yet. I don't see how anyone can say that "isn't even actually a delay."

So other than a You Tube video no one has ever seen a GF actually work? I also recall there was a trade show where they took 3 prototypes but no working model. The concept and design look wonderful.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'm going to stick with the official communication.

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 4.47.26 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Interesting, so you're on the opposite side of the CEO who did interviews that said they were delaying shipments. That's been the beef with so many of us. It doesn't matter if we actually quote the CEO or not, we're still told what we say isn't accurate.

Attachment 332261

I'm not sure why that's more official than the CEO telling a tech website that they haven't delivered any units and that the units they said were going to ship in December didn't. The CEO is about as "Official" as it gets. He's the one that said it, not any of us. We are simply repeating his own words, and then we're told that we're wrong, it was never said.

If we quote the CEO and are told that that's not correct, I'm not sure how to have a conversation about any of it. I didn't say they haven't shipped their December promised units, Dan S. did. If you disagree with it, then tell him he's wrong, don't tell me I'm wrong because I didn't say it, he did.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    I'm going to stick with the official communication.

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 4.47.26 PM.jpg
    That official communication says "We do not have public beta units in the field yet.", as of 2/22/16. In what universe is that not a delay in shipment?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It's a delay in beta testing. For those of us who've worked in product development, and to most of those who applied to beta test, that kind of delay is normal. The pertinent part is "Scheduled to ship all pre-orders by the end of June" which is as originally promised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That official communication says "We do not have public beta units in the field yet.", as of 2/22/16. In what universe is that not a delay in shipment?

The announcement notes that there are no public beta units (i.e., schools, makerspaces) in the field. There are private beta testers, which have signed NDAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    jerome, I'm not making any claims. But that's exactly the point isn't it? This, and several threads like it are full of bashing of everything from the marketing to the machine itself, all without a shred of real world evidence. Most recently, a shipping delay (which isn't even actually a delay) was posted as hard evidence that the Glowforge will fail. People will burn their houses down. The world is coming to an end. You can respond reasonably and still ask questions, but I haven't seen any of that here.
    I'm not even about to take sides, but this article on reddit is pretty bad, although many companies do this with blog sites.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAct...ed_they_ran_a/
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    The announcement notes that there are no public beta units (i.e., schools, makerspaces) in the field. There are private beta testers, which have signed NDAs.
    Which, for the purposes of defining "shipment", are no different from units still in GF's own facility, except for possibly having spent time in a FedEx truck.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

This may be a stupid analogy, and I don't remember the EXACT story (It was on an 'inventors' show) but it went something like this...

Back in 1977 when Star Wars came out, some guy took his kid(s) to see it.

When he got home, he found a flashlight, took one of those white protective tubes for golf clubs out of his golf bag, duct-taped it to the flashlight, and Voila-- He had a light saber...

He took his light saber to Walmart (I think it was, maybe K-mart), and showed it to a store clerk- who showed it to his boss- who called his boss, who called HIS boss, etc etc...

And finally someone on the other end told him "We'll take 30,000 of 'em"

So here's a guy with a flashlight and golf club tube and somebody-Mart wants him to produce 30,000 more. How do you deal with that?

Whether this laser turns out to be an albatross or the best thing since sliced bread, I can only imagine the difficulty in trying to produce 10 or 15 THOUSAND of them when the original estimate was 500...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Whether this laser turns out to be an albatross or the best thing since sliced bread, I can only imagine the difficulty in trying to produce 10 or 15 THOUSAND of them when the original estimate was 500...
    That's a good analogy for a typical Kickstarter campaign, but not for a venture capital funded company with many millions of dollars that is run by people with previous experience in development and production.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

So it seems that other than a Skype demo, no one has ever had a "hands on" unit for testing? Please correct me if I am wrong, this is from Jacob Johns post.
    So inside the box could be a standard off the shelf laser / engraver using standard control software but being made to appear being controlled by a non existing cloud software?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So it seems that other than a Skype demo, no one has ever had a "hands on" unit for testing? Please correct me if I am wrong, this is from Jacob Johns post.
    So inside the box could be a standard off the shelf laser / engraver using standard control software but being made to appear being controlled by a non existing cloud software?
    Oh, I don't think that at all. I think it's a real product and it will be delivered. My guess is that many of the issues that experienced laser users voiced and were beat down for voicing are now at the point where they are being realized as having been something to serious consider instead of dismissing so easily.

It's easy to put a camera system in a laser. It's much different to keep smoke residue from making those cameras useless or inaccurate pretty quickly. One's concept, one's real world. Those two collide somewhere in the development process.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

When I started this thread I was just asking when Glowforge was going to ship and some people started giving excuses as why it is such a great system but not the ship date.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    One's concept, one's real world. Those two collide somewhere in the development process.
    In well-engineered products, that collision is handled a long way upstream from the beta-test stage. Just saying.