Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

I spent some time corresponding with Glowforge back before the order deadline and asked a lot of questions. You cannot print directly from your own computer, nor directly from CorelDraw or any other software you own. The thing I found most concerning was the software they operate on the cloud, taking your file and therefore "sharing" it with the universe. Here is one of the responses I got, which I felt was a bit vague:

Dan Shapiro (Glowforge)
    Sep 29, 20:01
    Jumping in for Jason, who is out at the moment - You keep your original files on your computer, then send a copy to the Glowforge server which prepares them and sends them to the machine.
    The software that actually runs Glowforge runs in servers that we operate, so you don't need to install anything (other than your drawing software like Coreldraw). You access it from a web browser.
    It can handle compound vector/bitmap files no problem.
    It has pretty much everything we've seen in all of the leading lasers' control software, and a great deal more!
    The internet is required to use the Glowforge. Most print jobs fit in the Glowforge's local print queue, so you just need the connection to start the print. If you lose connectivity while printing it will finish. However, bigger jobs may not fit and are sent down in smaller pieces. If you lose connectivity during a big print it will finish what it was doing, pause, and wait for connectivity to resume.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

The "cloud" has many advantages - as long as you have access to it. The user can have a better experience and the service provider can make more money. It's a win-win. Except when your internet provider goes down, or their servers go down, or they go out of business, or change their business model, or....

OnShape is a new cloud based CAD program started by one of the founders of Solidworks. AutoCAD Fusion 360 is another. I am switching from Solidworks to Fusion 360 primarily because Solidworks is just so expensive, and they recently changed their upgrade policy after we had purchased it. Their upgrade policy was one of the selling points for us - so I am a bit ticked about that.

OnShape looks awesome but is cloud only, no internet, no work gets done. Fusion 360 is awesome as well but if you lose internet you can work in an offline mode. They are both practically free, or actually free if you meet their requirements.

I would encourage everyone to choose the service that does not cripple you if (when) you lose internet.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Yes I use Fusion 360 for doing 3D drawings and it works fine offline and can do so for a couple weeks. Sounds like with Glowforge if they go under or the server is down, you don't have the use of a $3000 machine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Some good news Glowforge is based in Washington State and this is what happen to one company that was funded through Kickstarter and was not full filling the orders:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/11/9310945/kickstarter-court-victory-attorney-general-washington-asylum-playing-cards

http://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-rele...pay-shady-deal

Not a Kickstarter. It looks like those that do not want to wait are issued refunds.

If you don't have the internet don't buy a Glowforge. If you have unreliable internet don't buy a glowforge. If you prefer to spend your time troubleshooting your cheap chinese laser and/or have the budget for a 20-30 thousand dollar laser, don't buy a Glowforge. If you don't like Glowforge because of their marketing, their funding strategy, their direct to consumer market strategy, or their design, don't buy a Glowforge. If you decide to believe despite all the clear evidence to the contrary that once you print a file Glowforge owns it (even though they've stated unequivocally they don't), don't buy a Glowforge. Feel free to buy anything else, because you can. If you prefer the high maintenance chinese laser and the crappy software experience, by all means, go with that. But quit with the bashing already. I could rip apart the software and hardware experience of every chinese laser on the market in half a breath.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-23-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    If you don't have the internet don't buy a Glowforge... <snip> ...quit with the bashing already. I could rip apart the software and hardware experience of every chinese laser on the market in half a breath.
    I don't think any of the recent comments warrant such a demand for cessation of posting and I don't understand how your ability to bash Chinese lasers relates to this thread. If you have something to say about Chinese lasers, please do so in the appropriate thread. After all, I believe that is the purpose of this forum - to talk about lasers, all makes, good stuff and bad stuff.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Rich, your gonna put the mods out of work
    Couldn’t have put it better myself.
    Lets keep the forum as pleasant, useful and factual as it normally is.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

If you don't have the internet don't buy a Glowforge. If you have unreliable internet don't buy a glowforge. If you prefer to spend your time troubleshooting your cheap chinese laser and/or have the budget for a 20-30 thousand dollar laser, don't buy a Glowforge. If you don't like Glowforge because of their marketing, their funding strategy, their direct to consumer market strategy, or their design, don't buy a Glowforge. If you decide to believe despite all the clear evidence to the contrary that once you print a file Glowforge owns it (even though they've stated unequivocally they don't), don't buy a Glowforge. Feel free to buy anything else, because you can. If you prefer the high maintenance chinese laser and the crappy software experience, by all means, go with that. But FFS, quit with the bashing already. I could rip apart the software and hardware experience of every chinese laser on the market in half a breath.
    We are waiting to see how the Glowforge will be as for reliablity and software goes. But nobody has been able to post anything as Glowforge does not exist outside of their labs. So you can't justify all your claims.

jerome, I'm not making any claims. But that's exactly the point isn't it? This, and several threads like it are full of bashing of everything from the marketing to the machine itself, all without a shred of real world evidence. Most recently, a shipping delay (which isn't even actually a delay) was posted as hard evidence that the Glowforge will fail. People will burn their houses down. The world is coming to an end. You can respond reasonably and still ask questions, but I haven't seen any of that here.

Most recently, a shipping delay (which isn't even actually a delay) was posted
    So a shipping schedule of "Will start shipping beta units in December" and it's now almost March, with no shipments made, and that's not "even actually a delay" (your words)? That's the rhetoric that makes some of us crazy.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I don't think any of the recent comments warrant such a demand for cessation of posting and I don't understand how your ability to bash Chinese lasers relates to this thread. If you have something to say about Chinese lasers, please do so in the appropriate thread. After all, I believe that is the purpose of this forum - to talk about lasers, all makes, good stuff and bad stuff.
    It was my understanding the Glowforge was being made in China and not sure of where the software is written. The hold up must be with the hardware as someone has already made the molds for the plastic case parts, at least from what you can see in the pictures.
    I don't believe they are out to scam people. I just think they have miss judged the challenge of the project or someone has sold them some "blue sky" and the finished goods will be much further down the road and of course cost more. Almost like every project.
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-22-2016 at 3:49 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Right Bill most of it is made you know where and its even a cheaper POJ then the ones we have. Funny how people fail to recognize that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    It was my understanding the Glowforge was being made in China and not sure of where the software is written. The hold up must be with the hardware as someone has already made the molds for the plastic case parts, at least from what you can see in the pictures.
    I don't believe they are out to scam people. I just think they have miss judged the challenge of the project or someone has sold them some "blue sky" and the finished goods will be much further down the road and of course cost more. Almost like every project.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    So a shipping schedule of "Will start shipping beta units in December" and it's now almost March, with no shipments made, and that's not "even actually a delay" (your words)? That's the rhetoric that makes some of us crazy.
    Beta units are going to maybe 1/10 of 1% of purchasers. The ACTUAL final unit delivery schedule is still on time, so no, using the beta delivery blurb from a news article isn't relevant, or evidence of anything other that a smart and flexible testing process. What makes me crazy is the constant jumping to the sky is falling conclusion with no supporting evidence.

Beta units are going to maybe 1/10 of 1% of purchasers. The ACTUAL final unit delivery schedule is still on time, so no, using the beta delivery blurb from a news article isn't relevant, or evidence of anything other that a smart and flexible testing process. What makes me crazy is the constant jumping to the sky is falling conclusion with no supporting evidence.
    Interesting, so you're on the opposite side of the CEO who did interviews that said they were delaying shipments. That's been the beef with so many of us. It doesn't matter if we actually quote the CEO or not, we're still told what we say isn't accurate.

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 4.13.15 PM.jpg
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.