Page 115 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    So far as I can tell, all of the stuff Matt has been posting here is available for reading on the GF forum.

BTW, there is an ongoing discussion in the forum about whether or not the International buyers will have to pay VAT on the stuff that they got from GF, like the $150 of free ProofGrade. As is typical GF is silent on this. Must be another of those secret things that another company might steal or that hasn't made it through the patent process yet.
    Yes they will, gifts have a commercial value even if it is given away freely. That isn't a guess either, EU tax (VAT) laws are very clear on this.They will also have to pay duty if the value is over £135 although duty under £9 is waived. VAT will have to be paid if the value is over £39.

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

• Customs Duty
    • Excise Duty
    • import VAT

and must be paid whether:

• you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
    • the goods are new or used (including antiques)
    • the goods are for your private use or for re-sale
    Also the gift ruling only applies person to person, business to person the entire value is subject to VAT and there is no lower end value assigned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...outside-the-eu
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 03-03-2018 at 7:42 PM.
    You did what !

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Yes they will, gifts have a commercial value even if it is given away freely. That isn't a guess either, EU tax (VAT) laws are very clear on this.They will also have to pay duty if the value is over £135 although duty under £9 is waived. VAT will have to be paid if the value is over £39.

Also the gift ruling only applies person to person, business to person the entire value is subject to VAT and there is no lower end value assigned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...outside-the-eu
    That's pretty much what one of the UK buyers has been saying. Seems a shame to pay tax on something you get for free.

That's pretty much what one of the UK buyers has been saying. Seems a shame to pay tax on something you get for free.
    The way our government see's it, it may have been given freely but it still has value, hence "Value" added tax
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    The way our government see's it, it may have been given freely but it still has value, hence "Value" added tax
    So does my government. Unfortunately, we pay VAT (and duty) on the value of everything we get from overseas, other than some things for personal use worth less than F$400 (about US$190). Even if it is a free replacement under warranty, we pay. Two "free" tubes for my Epilog, replaced under warranty, had a very high value and cost me hundreds of US $$ to import.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Seems a shame to pay tax on something you get for free.
    It varies by locale, but the same thing happens in some jurisdictions here, e.g. getting a discount for whatever reason but having to pay sales tax on the normal undiscounted price.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The irony is, GF claim their sheets of paper LSO stuff is worth $1,000, that would also be subject to VAT and Duty if declared as a value on the paperwork.
    You did what !

The irony is, GF claim their sheets of paper LSO stuff is worth $1,000, that would also be subject to VAT and Duty if declared as a value on the paperwork.
    Is this hypothetical? What do the other laser importers declare?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Is this hypothetical? What do the other laser importers declare?
    None of them claim any value or suchlike for instructions. A lot depends on what an item is declared "as" Lasers are brought in under two classifications, "Industrial machines" and sometimes "Office supplies" the safety and CE requirements for the classes vary by a HUGE amount.

When a manufacturer claims a value on something, even when they give it away for free it changes the value of the package split for customs in the EU.

If I exported say

• Rocket Launcher $1,000
    • Rocket for launcher $1,000
    • Instructions for rocket launcher $1,000

Then sold the package for $2,000 customs will charge the VAT based on $3,000 not the $2,000 paid as that is the declared value on the export ticket.

EU customs can be really complex and a bit hit and miss to be honest...

On the LSO paperwork, the problem could easily be that companies and businesses here require an LSO to be appointed, it's a requirement of HSE regulations, offering paperwork as LSO training that actually isn't could easily put commercial ventures in hot water if an HSE inspector visits and wants to see the papertrail. I have two appointed LSO's here on staff and have to keep the paperwork for 7 years after any of them leave and make it available to authorised persons (ie: government) at any time just for the asking.

Regulatory controls and paperwork here for working with the use of lasers for commercial purposes is a nightmare, even for private use Lloyds (our biggest insurer) require that special insurance is taken out as lasers are considered a "Significant fire risk" so folks putting them in their kitchen etc may well find it invalidates their home insurance and Property use class.

If you have a 6,000 sqft house and use 500 sqft for the laser etc then that's likely going to be fine, you have a 1,200 sqft flat and use 500 sqft for the laser you will likely need a change of use registered with the local council and have to pay business rates if used for pecuniary advantage (gain)
    You did what !

None of them claim any value or suchlike for instructions. A lot depends on what an item is declared "as" Lasers are brought in under two classifications, "Industrial machines" and sometimes "Office supplies" the safety and CE requirements for the classes vary by a HUGE amount.

When a manufacturer claims a value on something, even when they give it away for free it changes the value of the package split for customs in the EU.

If I exported say

• Rocket Launcher $1,000
    • Rocket for launcher $1,000
    • Instructions for rocket launcher $1,000

Then sold the package for $2,000 customs will charge the VAT based on $3,000 not the $2,000 paid as that is the declared value on the export ticket.

EU customs can be really complex and a bit hit and miss to be honest...

On the LSO paperwork, the problem could easily be that companies and businesses here require an LSO to be appointed, it's a requirement of HSE regulations, offering paperwork as LSO training that actually isn't could easily put commercial ventures in hot water if an HSE inspector visits and wants to see the papertrail. I have two appointed LSO's here on staff and have to keep the paperwork for 7 years after any of them leave and make it available to authorised persons (ie: government) at any time just for the asking.

Regulatory controls and paperwork here for working with the use of lasers for commercial purposes is a nightmare, even for private use Lloyds (our biggest insurer) require that special insurance is taken out as lasers are considered a "Significant fire risk" so folks putting them in their kitchen etc may well find it invalidates their home insurance and Property use class.

If you have a 6,000 sqft house and use 500 sqft for the laser etc then that's likely going to be fine, you have a 1,200 sqft flat and use 500 sqft for the laser you will likely need a change of use registered with the local council and have to pay business rates if used for pecuniary advantage (gain)
    Thank you Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Thank you Dave.
    Put it this way brother, I live in a country that part of (Scotland) requires a firearms license for a BB gun
    You did what !

11. If you thought a half inch out of alignment was bad...

This user experienced a "print" offsetting his design 7 inches for no apparent reason.

How can I trust that the machine will behave when I am using expensive materials?
    Seems like maybe you can't.

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    If you thought a half inch out of alignment was bad...

This user experienced a "print" offsetting his design 7 inches for no apparent reason.

Seems like maybe you can't.

Capture.JPG
    "If you can't reproduce the problem, it isn't a problem." - Tech Support
    (Of course that's pretty much how every tech support group works...)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I would rephrase that as, "If you can't provide step-by-step instructions for reproducing a problem, it's difficult to help you with it."

There was a recent post on the Unofficial Shapeoko Facebook group where a person apologized for a bad review of two products written before the user had read and understood the manual.

The flip side of that for the Glowforge of course, is that they've promised an easy-to-use product, so arguably should be on the hook for problems which seem to be in their software.

Blog Entries
    Again, if it is out of alignment more than a stated amount which SHOULD be a machine/software specification, such as .005" or .01" and is totally reproducible as a STANDARD, then the machine and software is CR@P. My cheap Chinese machine hold tolerance as fine as I have wanted to measure, and is a darn sight closer than a half an inch or quarter inch (pick an astronomically large error). I would be TOTALLY irate if I put a piece of material in that thing that cost more than plywood and that thing moved 7 inches. Unacceptable by ANY measure.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

15. Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    The KA Kids have the answer - you just need to wait longer before pressing the GF button. It's interesting to see how quick those guys are to find fault with the user or the rest of the world. It is never a GF deficiency in their minds.