Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Yeah, but at least with solar, the reactor is in someone else's backyard
    There's a petition to decommission it circulating on Mercury, citing the complete absence of environmental impact studies.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    My translation: "Lets take advantage of these stupid consumers and call this thing a 3-D machine. By the time they figure out its just another cheap laser cutter, it will be too late to return it."
    Normally I find this place to be completely respectful but I guess since I am one "these stupid customers" I might be wrong. Some of us did indeed read everything before placing and order and did so completely aware of the risk we are taking in the product. The founder of Glowforge has already successfully delivered to extremely successful crowdfunding campaigns and is by no means new to risks involved. All pre-orders are on schedule to ship in June, even if December was supposed to be the original ship date for production units a 6 months delay is not uncommon in crowdfunding and more than worth the wait to receive a quality product.

Some of us want simple, user friendly machine that I don't have constantly fiddle with for occasional engraving or light cutting. The ironic thing I find about many of the people talking about the Glowforge is that the people who can't believe we would buy something unseen are the same ones who are in a hurry to assure us that it will fail completely and set our houses on fire while simultaneously choking us on poisonous fumes. Well you have just a little proof that it will fail as I have proof that it will succeed.

I am in a laser cutting group on Facebook and again the same people talking about who terrible the Glowforge will be are the same ones who post for help the next day for their cheap chinese with no instructions laser that needs immediate modification and/or repair along with software tweaking.

All I am saying perhaps we should withhold judgment for the product until there is some actual proof, good or bad, about the unit. None of us know how this will work out.

Perhaps we should also avoid talking down to those of us who chose to support this product and to support an American entrepreneur (something that should always be encouraged). It was our risk to take and for many of us it was an informed risk who aren't just "stupid customers".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chase standifer View Post
    The founder of Glowforge has already successfully delivered to extremely successful crowdfunding campaigns and is by no means new to risks involved.
    He's also failed to deliver on other projects in spectacular, epic proportions, taking millions of dollars in investor money and making it go <poof> into thin air. Look for his pawprints in the 3D printer world...

Just making sure we show BOTH sides, particularly the one many choose to ignore (or are in the dark about)...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

He's also failed to deliver on other projects in spectacular, epic proportions, taking millions of dollars in investor money and making it go <poof> into thin air. Look for his pawprints in the 3D printer world...
    This is the first I have heard of this Dan. Would you pass along the other projects? Thanks.

5. What are some examples? I feel like I did decent research into him and even looking for negative stories I don't seem to come up with anything.

6. What are some examples? I feel like I did decent research into him and even looking for negative stories I don't seem to come up with anything.

Just making sure we show BOTH sides, particularly the one many choose to ignore (or are in the dark about)...

I'm sorry you were offended but I would have been more sorry if I let this guy get away with erroneously advertising the nature and capabilities of his (hypothetical) machine and then excusing himself by saying that people called it by the wrong name. I truly believe I accurately interpreted his words according to the reality of the situation. Even if he is successful and eventually delivers a usable product.

Quote Originally Posted by chase standifer View Post
    Normally I find this place to be completely respectful but I guess since I am one "these stupid customers" I might be wrong. Some of us did indeed read everything before placing and order and did so completely aware of the risk we are taking in the product. The founder of Glowforge has already successfully delivered to extremely successful crowdfunding campaigns and is by no means new to risks involved. All pre-orders are on schedule to ship in June, even if December was supposed to be the original ship date for production units a 6 months delay is not uncommon in crowdfunding and more than worth the wait to receive a quality product.

Some of us want simple, user friendly machine that I don't have constantly fiddle with for occasional engraving or light cutting. The ironic thing I find about many of the people talking about the Glowforge is that the people who can't believe we would buy something unseen are the same ones who are in a hurry to assure us that it will fail completely and set our houses on fire while simultaneously choking us on poisonous fumes. Well you have just a little proof that it will fail as I have proof that it will succeed.

I am in a laser cutting group on Facebook and again the same people talking about who terrible the Glowforge will be are the same ones who post for help the next day for their cheap chinese with no instructions laser that needs immediate modification and/or repair along with software tweaking.

All I am saying perhaps we should withhold judgment for the product until there is some actual proof, good or bad, about the unit. None of us know how this will work out.

Perhaps we should also avoid talking down to those of us who chose to support this product and to support an American entrepreneur (something that should always be encouraged). It was our risk to take and for many of us it was an informed risk who aren't just "stupid customers".
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-25-2016 at 8:33 AM.

Boy I didn't mean to stir up so much controversy. All I wanted was when will the units ship.

Plot twist...

Interesting read gives a little incite to as to what kind of person he is.
    wwwdotdanshapirodotcom/blog
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-25-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed link
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Boy I didn't mean to stir up so much controversy. All I wanted was when will the units ship.
    Don't take it personally: the controversy started months before this thread did.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    ...gives a little incite...
    Incite seems to be the right word.

Ok Matt maybe it is the right word but I did spell it wrong for what I meant as you probably guessed insight would be what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Incite seems to be the right word.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Ok Matt maybe it is the right word but I did spell it wrong for what I meant as you probably guessed insight would be what I meant
    Always enjoy your posts, Bert.

I'm ready for those links to the other projects, when you have a chance.