Page 90 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

What I’m wondering is when “Glowforge” will become a verb or adjective? Ie. “the marketing team at that new startup put out the most bogus information ever, they really glowforged it”

So many people are having trouble with uploading their designs and then getting them to cut on the material where they want it also when they have more than 1 of the same design to cut that they can't just hit as they say print a second time but have to go back to the cloud and redownload it. The other big issue is not being able to cut the full size that Glowforge claims as a working area.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    $

I'm sure there are still people who will buy it at that price point but I can't help feel it is very poor value for money. Sinjoe have recently launched a couple of desktop models that could be an alternative to a GF.

https://store.sinjoe.com/index.php?r...ory&path=86_73
    That 300 x 200mm is an interesting machine. Have bookmarked it. I do a lot of engraving on one of my lasers that is just 110 x 40mm and that Sinjoe could save a bit of workshop space when it comes time to replace my current machine.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    That 300 x 200mm is an interesting machine. Have bookmarked it. I do a lot of engraving on one of my lasers that is just 110 x 40mm and that Sinjoe could save a bit of workshop space when it comes time to replace my current machine.
    Email Felix @ sinjoe and tell him he has to be nice to you Ju
    You did what !

You guys are essentially arguing over the definition of "motion control". You will never resolve your differences because you keep interpreting each other's statements in the context of your personal definition of "motion control" when that wasn't the definition that was used to formulate the statement.

It's pretty clear at this point there is a cloud component that is is used to plan out the movement of the laser, and also some local hardware component on the GF uses that plan to generate pulses that cause the steppers to move. Whether you call the cloud component a "motion planner" and the local hardware a "motion controller", or the cloud component a "motion controller" and the local hardware something else doesn't really matter. If the point of the conversation is to communicate, agree on a nomenclature and move on. Call the cloud component "Alice" and the local component "Bob".

Alice decides *what* needs to be done and delegates the implementation to Bob.
    Bob decides *how* to implement what Alice wants.

So who is the controller? Alice or Bob? I think it's clear that you can argue it either way, though I suspect engineers will tend to say Bob, and managers will tend to say Alice.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sharp02 View Post
    You guys are essentially arguing over the definition of "motion control". You will never resolve your differences because you keep interpreting each other's statements in the context of your personal definition of "motion control" when that wasn't the definition that was used to formulate the statement.

It's pretty clear at this point there is a cloud component that is is used to plan out the movement of the laser, and also some local hardware component on the GF uses that plan to generate pulses that cause the steppers to move. Whether you call the cloud component a "motion planner" and the local hardware a "motion controller", or the cloud component a "motion controller" and the local hardware something else doesn't really matter. If the point of the conversation is to communicate, agree on a nomenclature and move on. Call the cloud component "Alice" and the local component "Bob".

So who is the controller? Alice or Bob? I think it's clear that you can argue it either way, though I suspect engineers will tend to say Bob, and managers will tend to say Alice.
    Anyone who is married will absolutely tell you that Alice is in control, Bob just thinks he is...

When you hear someone misusing industry-standard nomenclature, it's a pretty good way to tell a manager is talking.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    When you hear someone misusing industry-standard nomenclature, it's a pretty good way to tell a manager is talking.
    Sales manager I bet.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Sales manager I bet.
    Naaa, Marketing Manager, same guy who thinks its a 3D printer
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    Naaa, Marketing Manager, same guy who thinks its a 3D printer
    I wonder what ink cartridge does take and does it print in colors like other 3D printers.

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Sharp02 View Post
    It's pretty clear at this point there is a cloud component that is is used to plan out the movement of the laser, and also some local hardware component on the GF uses that plan to generate pulses that cause the steppers to move.
    That's not how the Glowforge works. The cloud sends down the pulses for the steppers and the Glowforge hardware just sends those pulses directly to the steppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    That's not how the Glowforge works. The cloud sends down the pulses for the steppers and the Glowforge hardware just sends those pulses directly to the steppers.
    And that's the reason the GF will fail. Without a buffer file or a special file formatted to download the "Cloud" can not reliably supply pulses in real time error free. If you have any basic knowledge of CNC controls you will see issues involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    Are you sure about that, what is your source for that claim?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

In the professional machine control world, an industry in which I spent a majority of my career, there is no ambiguity whatsoever. If some amateur wants to redefine the term, they run the risk of sounding like an idiot. That is a situation that appears to apply in this case.

So Art, I do not get your point? Is the GF Cloud sending down stepper motor direction and pulses or is it not? That is the question.
    Ditto what Rich said.