Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Great problem they solved, right? Instead of taking 40 hours to learn Corel, they make it so you don't have to spend 40 hours learning Corel, but it does take 3 hours to engrave a paper size job for the rest of it's life, adding up into 1000's of wasted hours.

As someone who ran a Manufacturing Engineering Department for years, that one wouldn't have passed the any standards we met for productivity.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I too was making things the first hour after I got my Rabbit set up. Pretty easy to.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

When I said unbox I should have said uncrate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Yeah, no one with Epilog's, Trotec's, or Universal's have ever cut anything within an hour of owning it, have they? That's not a valid argument. You are implying that prior to the GF, people simply could not use their machines without countless hours of training in CAD/CAM programs and that's simply not true. I know ULS and Trotec offer programs that you can take a flash drive with an image on it, plug it in and start lasering. They'd been out there for years. I think ULS was doing that about 5 years ago, to be precise.

Yeah, wouldn't want any of us to propagate bad info, but it's okay if GF does it. I see how it works now. They'd been "propagating bad info" for 2 years and you haven't mentioned that about them. Interesting how when someone in this thread says something, it's we're "propagating bad info". That made me laugh out loud.
    Because "someone" has been able to use a laser within the hour, does not mean "most" will. There is no correlation. GF had a very successful campaign on the premise that their machine is easy to use and the average creative person will be up and running without much effort or knowledge. If you contend that most first-time user's of western or imported machines have the same experience, I call shenanigans. I'm not sure if all the big three customers just have UPS drop off a box and an owner's manual, but I do recall a SMC'er had Epilog come out and install and calibrate the camera system.

Continuing to pass along info known to be outdated or untrue is definitely propagating bad info and not helping anyone on SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I too was making things the first hour after I got my Rabbit set up. Pretty easy to.
    Well shoot, Bert. You also owned another laser prior and you received training on your Rabbit from Ray and his wife. Just giving you a hard time here, but I think you also might have the most Corel Help threads started on SMC, so your theory is a little weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post

Well shoot, Bert. You also owned another laser prior and you received training on your Rabbit from Ray and his wife. Just giving you a hard time here, but I think you also might have the most Corel Help threads started on SMC, so your theory is a little weak.
    I had never used a laser before I got mine.

When I purchased my current co2 machine, it took longer to unbox than to draw a simple design and engrave. So a GF owner earns a lifetime of s l o w engraving and cutting in exchange for what? Ideas? Or learning a simple graphics program?

If your not motivated enough to learn Corel Draw or even Inkscape, why do you need a laser?

GlowForge was marketed as I recall on the "Worlds First 3D Laser Printer" wow, so people purchased on that promise. How many GF customers have made a 3D laser printed project so far?
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-23-2018 at 9:43 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Because "someone" has been able to use a laser within the hour, does not mean "most" will. There is no correlation. GF had a very successful campaign on the premise that their machine is easy to use and the average creative person will be up and running without much effort or knowledge. If you contend that most first-time user's of western or imported machines have the same experience, I call shenanigans. I'm not sure if all the big three customers just have UPS drop off a box and an owner's manual, but I do recall a SMC'er had Epilog come out and install and calibrate the camera system.

Continuing to pass along info known to be outdated or untrue is definitely propagating bad info and not helping anyone on SMC.

When you hold GF to the same standards you hold my comments, I'll put some merit into that statement. Until then, making statements that a GF is easier to use is just nonsense. Easy to use for what? Making parts that aren't accurate? Making parts that miss the mark by 1/2"? But yet you qualify that as success? Obviously my measurements for success are slightly higher than being able to miss dimensions by 1/2" and call that a success.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Are "most" people that receive a GF up an running within an hour? Are they all without any prior knowledge of lasers or graphics packages? I had my first laser - a LG900 - up and running within an hour of taking it out of the box. I had never used a laser before in my life, just seen one run a job for about 5 mins. Sure, I had spent some time online reading about lasers and read the Lasercut manual but then I would expect many GF buyers would have been doing something similar. They've had 2 years to do so after all. I still don't see what the USP is unless it's "good looking" (which is still a matter of opinion).
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I had never used a laser before I got mine.
    I think you're forgetting to mention that you had CAD experience with DXF files, at least a couple years prior to getting a laser.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nts&highlight=

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ser&highlight=

The Glowforge people had over 2 years to watch videos and learn how to use a design software. I cut one file about 4 times a year that I have to run anywhere from 30 to 300 pieces and if the calibration is off I would lose most of my profits and I don't know if I could run it on a Glowfroge as it is 20 inches wide and takes my full bed.

Blog Entries
    CorelDraw is EASY. I worked with and watch a lot of videos and continue to learn the software. I had zero real cad or graphics design before. Really not an issue if you can use a computer.

As I stated before, I looked REALLY close at the GF a few months after the initial rush had ended. I determined after looking at the other lasers out there that For the price, it wasn't worth it. For the usefulness, it wasn't worth it. For the issue with needing WiFi as much as power, it wasn't worth it. For the inability to run a rotary, it wasn't worth it. For the unavailability, at the time and EVEN TODAY I might add, it wasn't worth it. GF is still vaporware if you want to buy one today. Unless used on Craigslist from the guy that can't sell his......
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I think you're forgetting to mention that you had CAD experience with DXF files, at least a couple years prior to getting a laser.

That's irrelevant - you don't need to know CAD to be able to use a laser. If you take a look at some of the laser groups on FB, there are many people who don't use CAD but buy files or use free ones. I don't see how buying a GF makes you proficient in CAD within an hour?
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

I used cad way before I had a CNC or laser I used to have to read blueprints for construction and make suggestions to the designers about what just won't work. Does that make me an archtech. I also like how they are comparing the Glowforge to a commercial laser.

So, here's what I posted:

"New owners are receiving their machine and making a project in the first hour of opening the box, without any CAD/CAM experience."

... Instead of taking 40 hours to learn Corel, they make it so you don't have to spend 40 hours learning Corel...As someone who ran a Manufacturing Engineering Department for years, that one wouldn't have passed the any standards we met for productivity.
    I don't see anything in my post about "40 hours" and you're comparing the GF to professional production machines again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    When I purchased my current co2 machine, it took longer to unbox than to draw a simple design and engrave...
    Please read the bold part of my post above.

When you hold GF to the same standards you hold my comments, I'll put some merit into that statement. Until then, making statements that a GF is easier to use is just nonsense. Easy to use for what? Making parts that aren't accurate? Making parts that miss the mark by 1/2"? But yet you qualify that as success? Obviously my measurements for success are slightly higher than being able to miss dimensions by 1/2" and call that a success.
    I stand by my statement. I can make my case, if you really need me too.

You've doubled the "tolerance" to 1/2" now. No need to exaggerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    ...Sure, I had spent some time online reading about lasers and read the Lasercut manual...
    You had never opened a vector program until that day?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    That's irrelevant - you don't need to know CAD to be able to use a laser...I don't see how buying a GF makes you proficient in CAD within an hour?
    Where was this said?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    ...GF is still vaporware...
    You may have another definition, than the standard one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I used cad way before I had a CNC or laser...
    Yes, my point exactly. Please read the bold part of my post above.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 02-23-2018 at 4:58 PM.

You've doubled the "tolerance" to 1/2" now. No need to exaggerate.

Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have exaggerated down. The last one I saw was about 1" off. Posted in their own support section. My bad. 1". I'll try to be more accurate about how far off they are in the future. But I understand that accuracy isn't anything important to worry about.