Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

CE
    International Basic & Pro units have earned the CE mark, making them legal for importation into EU countries.
    I wonder what they are rated as?
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    I wonder what they are rated as?
    Doorstops? <duck&run>
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Doorstops? <duck&run>
    I would have pressed the like button 10 times Lee!
    As Larry the Cable Guy would say, "that's just funny right there!"
    Last edited by Paul Phillips; 02-21-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Old Captain Kirk
    while running back to work
    was reaching for his trusty phaser...

then his face hit the floor
    because next to the door
    someone had left their dumb laser
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Be interested to see if they are coming in as "Office equipment" rather than "Industrial tools" (something that has been done before and didn't end well)
    You did what !

6. Interesting video from a couple of guys at Tested, who each bought a Glowforge and have been using them for a few months: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3317w0_HuX4

Choice quotes:

• "The experience feels like it's in beta still" (~14m)
    • "There's definitely this lens warping that they haven't compensated for" (~16m)
    • "As long as it's close to the center of that camera, then you can trust it." (~17m)
    • "Your actual cuttable area is about an inch in on all sides. ... It makes me think that this is not the full bed that I was promised. What's extra confusing about that is we had an early version of this more than a year ago. We thought that they were going to fix that. That was a limitation then that we understood was something that was going to be solved for the shipping version, and for some reason that hasn't been solved." (~17-18m)
    • "If you compare this to a professional laser cutter is is much slower, both in the vector and the raster. ... While you can do rasters up to three hours long, anything bigger than that fails." (~18m)

And yet even after listing all the limitations and downsides, both hosts express that they are quite happy with it and are using it frequently. "It makes laser-cutting accessible."

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    ... While you can do rasters up to three hours long, anything bigger than that fails." (~18m)
    That's multiple jobs, right? I can't comprehend standing there watching it that long.

I've got a (relatively) puny 25W ULS machine and three hours of raster would cover the full area of the bed, maybe twice, for any substrate it can mark reliably. Longest job I can recall running on it was a little over an hour, but that was a bed-full of insanely complex vector-cuts in 1/4" MDF.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    And yet even after listing all the limitations and downsides, both hosts express that they are quite happy with it and are using it frequently. "It makes laser-cutting accessible."
    The same is often said about K40 machines by their owners so not really an indicator of how good or bad the GF is.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Still waiting to see what this does that's so revolutionary. The whole premise was that it was so easy to use that you didn't need to learn software like Photoshop, Illustrator, or CorelDraw. They say that and then tell people constantly "You need to split the image into smaller pieces and stitch it together". I thought it was supposed to do away with that type of "complexity".

At this point, I still have not seen one single thing (correction, one single positive thing) that it does that turns the market upside down. Not one feature.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Still waiting to see what this does that's so revolutionary. The whole premise was that it was so easy to use that you didn't need to learn software like Photoshop, Illustrator, or CorelDraw. They say that and then tell people constantly "You need to split the image into smaller pieces and stitch it together". I thought it was supposed to do away with that type of "complexity".

At this point, I still have not seen one single thing (correction, one single positive thing) that it does that turns the market upside down. Not one feature.
    New owners are receiving their machine and making a project in the first hour of opening the box, without any CAD/CAM experience. The split/stich techinique was a workaround until a firmware update fixed the issue, as far as I know, so you might be propagating bad info.

What market are you referring to?

Lee GF users don't watch their jobs, many just go about their business as the jobs run, some leave a kid to watch it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That's multiple jobs, right? I can't comprehend standing there watching it that long.

I've got a (relatively) puny 25W ULS machine and three hours of raster would cover the full area of the bed, maybe twice, for any substrate it can mark reliably. Longest job I can recall running on it was a little over an hour, but that was a bed-full of insanely complex vector-cuts in 1/4" MDF.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    New owners are receiving their machine and making a project in the first hour of opening the box, without any CAD/CAM experience. The split/stich techinique was a workaround until a firmware update fixed the issue, as far as I know, so you might be propagating bad info.

So if your friends or relative like maybe your BIL asked if the GlowForge was the machine to purchase, your honest answer would be?
    If you did not already own a laser, would you buy one?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post

Yeah, no one with Epilog's, Trotec's, or Universal's have ever cut anything within an hour of owning it, have they? That's not a valid argument. You are implying that prior to the GF, people simply could not use their machines without countless hours of training in CAD/CAM programs and that's simply not true. I know ULS and Trotec offer programs that you can take a flash drive with an image on it, plug it in and start lasering. They'd been out there for years. I think ULS was doing that about 5 years ago, to be precise.

Yeah, wouldn't want any of us to propagate bad info, but it's okay if GF does it. I see how it works now. They'd been "propagating bad info" for 2 years and you haven't mentioned that about them. Interesting how when someone in this thread says something, it's we're "propagating bad info". That made me laugh out loud.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

When I got my Chinese laser home I was cutting within 1 hour took 45 minutes to unbox and get the machine plugged in and another 5 minutes to load the software. I did a design of my own not one of the premade designs. cut it out and used it for a proto type for a company that I do a lot of cutting for. So what is the big deal about cutting a job right out of the box. Oh yeah It didn't take hours to set up the WIFI and hours more to calibrate if it ever gets that far.

Blog Entries
    Mine didn't come in a little box, it came in a tremendously large crate. So it took me a while... But setup? Not very long. But I can't imagine three hour raster on a piece the size of a sheet of paper. ...
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others