Page 114 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Bert, don’t know what you are reading but let me recap an experience for a couple pages ago. I posted that I saw posts where the GF was 1/2” off. Obviously that wasn’t a generalized of all GF. However, I was called out by Matt and gphe said I was exaggerating and that meant my post was invalid. I corrected it and said he was right, I had seen someone with their cut more than 1” off. The response was that I wasn’t being honest and a photo of a purse was shown. What’s the photo of the purse have to do with someone else’s machine being off 1/2” or even 1”. The two have zero relation. Yet I don’t see you even mention posts like that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, I read that exchange. Unfortunately it wasn't obvious to me that you were only talking about one GF. You guys were talking about Glowforges in general (how easy they were to use, which is a global issue) and you said "Easy for what? Cutting parts that are 1/2" (or 1") out of whack?" In the context of talking about a global issue you brought up accuracy. It kind of seemed to me like you were talking about all of them. Here you say it's obvious you weren't talking about all of them, but I didn't read it that way when you first wrote it. I read Matt's reply as saying "Here is an example of someone cutting something without accuracy issues." I think everyone's misunderstanding each other and getting mad.

Again- that's kind of my point, everyone is misreading each others comments and getting all mad about things.

maybe only some of them have each of these problems but all of them are missing features that was listed in the specs. Glowforge says that they are working on fixing these but after 2 years they still havn't been able to. Missing features like cutting to the size of the machine that they say would be like buying a car that says it has an auto braking system only to find out that it will eventually but it still has brakes so you should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Scott, I read that exchange. Unfortunately it wasn't obvious to me that you were only talking about one GF. You guys were talking about Glowforges in general (how easy they were to use, which is a global issue) and you said "Easy for what? Cutting parts that are 1/2" (or 1") out of whack?" In the context of talking about a global issue you brought up accuracy. It kind of seemed to me like you were talking about all of them. Here you say it's obvious you weren't talking about all of them, but I didn't read it that way when you first wrote it. I read Matt's reply as saying "Here is an example of someone cutting something without accuracy issues." I think everyone's misunderstanding each other and getting mad.

Again- that's kind of my point, everyone is misreading each others comments and getting all mad about things.
    Hey Bert: I think you hit the nail on the head. BTW, I don't get mad about any of this, so hope it's not coming across that way.

If anyone is interested, I saw that a GF cleared customs in the UK and will be delivered tomorrow. There's one on a UPS truck in Germany too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    If anyone is interested, I saw that a GF cleared customs in the UK and will be delivered tomorrow. There's one on a UPS truck in Germany too.
    I don't think it gas cleared yet as I see the UPS shipping info. And he is trying to figure out how much it will cost him once it clears customs.

Looks like Glowforge is coming to the UK on Friday? Awoke this morning to this:
    Location Date Local Time Activity
    01/03/2018 5:21 In Transit
    01/03/2018 5:21 Your package was released by the clearing agency.
    San Jose, CA, United States 28/02/2018 19:06 Departure Scan
    28/02/2018 18:10 Arrival Scan
    Sunnyvale, CA, United States 28/02/2018 18:08 Departure Scan
    28/02/2018 17:59 Origin Scan
    United States 28/02/2018 16:47 Order Processed: Ready for UPS
    San Jose, CA, United States 28/02/2018 19:06 Departure Scan
    28/02/2018 18:10 Arrival Scan
    Sunnyvale, CA, United States 28/02/2018 18:08 Departure Scan
    28/02/2018 17:59 Origin Scan
    United States 28/02/2018 16:47 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

And if it clears customs and gets Insp to make sure it passes UK safety regulations he has to pay VAT.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You get the pleasure of paying VAT on the laser AND the shipping cost
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I don't think it gas cleared yet as I see the UPS shipping info. And he is trying to figure out how much it will cost him once it clears customs.
    You might read through what you pasted one more time. Also, the OP of that thread reported that the eagle has landed and attached a pic. Looks like the first GF in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    You get the pleasure of paying VAT on the laser AND the shipping cost
    It was anticipated and no different than any other imported product.

That UPS data shows it has cleared US customs not UK

Depending on the import type (Machinery or office equipment) it will also be subject to import duty before the VAT is calculated.

Without the postage element it normally works out a direct $ - £ conversion so something that costs $1,000 ends up costing £1,000 when it finally lands based on VAT but the high cost of postage will bump that up quite a bit so likely going to be around double the dollar value in pounds. UPS absolutely hand everything over to customs as well, I've never got anything via UPS that hasn't been hit with the charges
    Last edited by Dave Sheldrake; 03-02-2018 at 1:07 PM.
    You did what !

That is what I had found out, UPS is a poor choice for anything shipped overseas or even to Canada. Lets hope the Buyer got one of the ones that work..... otherwise its going to get real expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    That UPS data shows it has cleared US customs not UK

Depending on the import type (Machinery or office equipment) it will also be subject to import duty before the VAT is calculated.

Without the postage element it normally works out a direct $ - £ conversion so something that costs $1,000 ends up costing £1,000 when it finally lands based on VAT but the high cost of postage will bump that up quite a bit so likely going to be around double the dollar value in pounds. UPS absolutely hand everything over to customs as well, I've never got anything via UPS that hasn't been hit with the charges
    Nah, it had the departure scan from the U.S. on 2/28 and arrived/cleared in the UK 3/1. It was already delivered today. I believe he paid ~£721 (duty + VAT).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    That is what I had found out, UPS is a poor choice for anything shipped overseas or even to Canada. Lets hope the Buyer got one of the ones that work..... otherwise its going to get real expensive.
    It will get real expensive for GF, since they're paying for shipping both ways, in case of damage.

BTW: GF delivered in Germany today too.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 03-02-2018 at 2:56 PM.

Nah, it had the departure scan from the U.S. on 2/28 and arrived/cleared in the UK 3/1. It was already delivered today. I believe he paid ~£721 (duty + VAT).
    It will get real expensive for GF, since they're paying for shipping both ways, in case of damage.
    BTW: GF delivered in Germany today too.
    For someone not on the GlowForge payroll you sure have a lot of inside knowledge Matt.

Nah, it had the departure scan from the U.S. on 2/28 and arrived/cleared in the UK 3/1.
    The times on that printout work out to 10 hours and 15 minutes from San Jose to somewhere in the UK, which is almost exactly the fastest non-stop flight time from SJC to London, not including loading and unloading the plane and going through UK customs. Ten hours from the San Jose UPS depot to the airport and through US Customs sounds reasonable though...methinks that 0521 time yesterday is when the plane took off.

(I was also under the impression that when UPS says "local time", they mean the local time where the event occurred, but that would drop the San Jose-to-UK transit time down to 2 hours and change: how many G's is the GF crate rated for?)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    ...how many G's is the GF crate rated for?)
    I don't know -- sorry.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    For someone not on the GlowForge payroll you sure have a lot of inside knowledge Matt.
    So far as I can tell, all of the stuff Matt has been posting here is available for reading on the GF forum.

BTW, there is an ongoing discussion in the forum about whether or not the International buyers will have to pay VAT on the stuff that they got from GF, like the $150 of free ProofGrade. As is typical GF is silent on this. Must be another of those secret things that another company might steal or that hasn't made it through the patent process yet.