Thread: Glowforge release

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    ...tell me how that differs from the ULS implementation I described, except...
    Your argument is null and void, when you use the word except.

So the "uP" GF refers to is, what, duct-taped to the inside of the cover? Pick a story and stick to it.
    Not a traditional control board. If you want to debate semantics and tell them that they are wrong, here's a link to get started:

http://community.glowforge.com/t/skydog/1668/22

Here's an excerpt:

"The glowforge does not have a motion controller onboard
    How does it move then? It may not have motion planning, but it must have stepper control of some kind inside. I can't imagine it solely has an h-bridge being controlled over the internet. Stepper control etc must be local, otherwise network latency would cause total havoc...

karaelenaRegular

Traditional motion controllers (GRBL, TinyG, Smoothie, Marlin, LinuxCNC (or MachineKit) & Mach3 all have the ability to output stepgen pulses required to move the steppers (specifically to tell the stepper drivers which direction and how long). The glowforge does not have this. The Glowforge 'cloud' create these and outputs a waveform in which the glowforge 'plays' locally."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Correct, real time motion control would be next to impossible with the controller off premises. I do not think that could even be implemented if the wireless feed was in the next room let alone over the real internet. Anyone who has worked with, repaired or built CNC knows it depends on constantly knowing where the carriage, milling head or laser is at and sending reliable feedback to the controller. Yes I know steppers do not have feedback, but it depends on knowing the last command was received.
    Right. Steppers do not have feedback. It's open loop. Check out that link above.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I agree.

The GFs hardware buffer contains the motion planning (performed in the cloud) which the onboard motion controller then does it's thing. The "uP" is the motion controller.
    There is no traditional onboard controller.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 11-05-2017 at 3:39 PM.