Page 107 of 118 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The question really wasn't whether you would talk someone out of a GF if that's what they really wanted, it was more one of would you actively steer them toward it if they'd never heard of it.

There's a Rockler in the DFW area (Arlington) that might have the new-gen FS machine set up for demo.
    I apologize. I didn't pass along that I don't actively steer anyone towards one product over another. When asked, I usually provide what I consider the best options, and if a GF suits what they're looking for, then I would include it. I hope that answer will do.

Do you mean the Muse? I haven't seen one yet, but will take a look, when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    I think the topic of International warranty has come up a few times in the GF forum and the official reply was that International DOAs would be replaced at no cost (shipping either way or the cost of replacement unit) to the owner but for warranty replacements or repairs down the road, the user would have to pay shipping. Many EU users paid $1k for shipping so maybe that's where that amount came from. I'm not sure if the owner has to pay shipping both ways or not. Some (all?) EU countries require that shipping costs for warranties be borne by the seller, but GF has been silent on whether or not they will comply with that policy if it does exist.

FWIW, GF has replaced at least 115 units since September 2017 and the number may be quite a bit higher.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    The problem was they were owners until glowforge pulled them without their consent. How do you know that there was just a tiny handful of them like people on their forum posted you will never know how many were bought from those countries.
    Sorry, I don't follow your logic. If these former backers received the sad news that GF would/could not sell them a machine any longer, and were allowed to remain active members on the GF forum, you still wouldn't be have a reasonable idea of how many were affected.

The only reason I know it affected a "tiny handful", is because that is what they have stated. You can believe them, or not. I have no idea and neither do you, which is why I don't make claims otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Do you mean the Muse? I haven't seen one yet, but will take a look, when I get a chance.
    I had only seen the ads for the H-series and P-series, but I see now they are online-only, direct ship. They're also now carrying a very similar unit under the Laguna brand, no clue who actually makes it.

My store doesn't have any of them set up for demo, but it's one of the smaller ones...I recall the Arlington store being much larger, assuming it's still where it was ten years ago.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

So if one of your friends or relatives wanted to purchase a Glow Forge what would you say, Yes or No? Knowing what the issues are with the GF would you recommend it knowing full well you might need to provide the support?
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-19-2018 at 3:40 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When we had problem with our gweike they sent us parts internationally and did not charge us shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I had only seen the ads for the H-series and P-series, but I see now they are online-only, direct ship. They're also now carrying a very similar unit under the Laguna brand, no clue who actually makes it.

My store doesn't have any of them set up for demo, but it's one of the smaller ones...I recall the Arlington store being much larger, assuming it's still where it was ten years ago.
    They moved to a new location within the last couple years, which seems a little smaller. I'll check it out the next time I'm in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    What kind of warranty does one get on a Chinese direct import? How much to send back a crate to China for warranty repair? I believe these are rhetorical questions.
    Maybe rhetorical but on my Chinese machine I could send it back (sea freight as it is way too big and heavy to mail back) for a lot less than US$1,000. But being modular, I would not have to send back anything but the part that did not work. And when I did have a part fail under warranty, they simply asked for a video and then sent the part via DHL at no cost to me. Both Shenhui and Longtai have treated me quite well. And this is for US$3,000 laser systems (laser, CW5200 chiller, extra parts, etc.). I'll take Chinese laser customer support over what I've hear about Glowforge any day.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

John, aside from a lot of the eBay Chinese machines most usually work out of the box, do not need internet access, and will work with water coolers or chillers most any temperature and are 10x faster than a Glow Forge. Granted our Chinese machines, nor the US or European ones will do 3D but a small sacrifice to pay.

Do you believe everything Dan says he stated all these features that have not come about fully.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Maybe rhetorical but on my Chinese machine I could send it back (sea freight as it is way too big and heavy to mail back) for a lot less than US$1,000. But being modular, I would not have to send back anything but the part that did not work. And when I did have a part fail under warranty, they simply asked for a video and then sent the part via DHL at no cost to me. Both Shenhui and Longtai have treated me quite well. And this is for US$3,000 laser systems (laser, CW5200 chiller, extra parts, etc.). I'll take Chinese laser customer support over what I've hear about Glowforge any day.
    Thanks for the info. Might be a moot point: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...09#post2779909

Just so there's no misunderstanding, this discussion is not meant to be a knock on Chinese support or warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Do you believe everything Dan says he stated all these features that have not come about fully.
    Has nothing to do with what I believe, only what was said.

and he's been asked 4 times now for a simple Yes or No would you recommend a GF to any one.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    and he's been asked 4 times now for a simple Yes or No would you recommend a GF to any one.
    I think we already have his answer. Nor would he own one. Would a friend let a friend buy a Glow Forge?

Im sorry Bill where was it that he said that? I went back looking couldn't find that post. What number was it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I think we already have his answer. Nor would he own one. Would a friend let a friend buy a Glow Forge?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hey Bert: I've already given my answer twice. To paraphrase -- maybe. It would depend on what would suit them best.

I'm sorry that's not the answer you might be looking for, but it's not a yes/no question.

If anyone is interested, The GF March Update is out. It pertains to the recent discussion...

"CE
    International Basic & Pro units have earned the CE mark, making them legal for importation into EU countries.

Warranty
    US laws allow a company a great deal of control over the warranty; European law defines a common set of standards for warranties. We’re deferring to EU law entirely for EU customers. As our friendly neighborhood lawyers put it, “If your shipping address is within the European Union, your country’s consumer product warranty laws apply.”

Free shipping both ways for EU customers under the 2 year warranty.