Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Glowforge release

I was wondering if Glowforge has sent out any units yet. I thought they were supposed to release the middle of December.

I think there are a lot of people with issues. Seems the December ship date was only for a small number of "beta testers" who will use them in educational and maker type spaces, and then they'll take feedback from those users and make changes needed and start working on the next wave. I've seen people say they they won't be getting it until August of 2016. I'd be a wee bit upset if I paid you $4,000 for something that I wouldn't get for a year after you took my money. But that's just me. I don't think I'm alone, since I saw a post where that announcement was made and then they said after that, they had 11,000 service tickets filed on their system. I don't suspect that was 11,000 tickets saying "No worries, just send it whenever you can....".
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Latest seems to be public units hitting the end of 2016
    You did what !

The reason I asked is I was wondering if anybody actually started using one and if their claim that the camera can follow the object.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Latest seems to be public units hitting the end of 2016
    Where did you find that Dave?

"...units that were purchased before Oct 23 shipped in the first half of 2016. Units ordered after Oct 23 will ship in the summer of 2016."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Where did you find that Dave?

"...units that were purchased before Oct 23 shipped in the first half of 2016. Units ordered after Oct 23 will ship in the summer of 2016."
    Somebody that paid for one got an email last week and mentioned it to me
    You did what !

Straight from their website"If you purchased on or before 10/24/15, your order will ship before July 2016. If you purchased after 10/24/15, your order will ship before October 2016."

Yikes Scott I'm with you, over a year with my cash and I got nothing to show for it. Then you have to hope that They can fix all the bugs I would never go in on a program like that. If it was something I wanted I'd wait till the company was actually making and selling them with good feedback. To many scams out there were people take your money and you get nothing in return or you get junk in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I think there are a lot of people with issues. Seems the December ship date was only for a small number of "beta testers" who will use them in educational and maker type spaces, and then they'll take feedback from those users and make changes needed and start working on the next wave. I've seen people say they they won't be getting it until August of 2016. I'd be a wee bit upset if I paid you $4,000 for something that I wouldn't get for a year after you took my money. But that's just me. I don't think I'm alone, since I saw a post where that announcement was made and then they said after that, they had 11,000 service tickets filed on their system. I don't suspect that was 11,000 tickets saying "No worries, just send it whenever you can....".
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I did not think they got paid in advance? Thought it was just a reservation. Nice write up in A&E magazine this month about the changes that home owned lasers like the GlowForge will bring to the market place.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Paid in advance, hmmm... Just checked the 'rollout' page, almost $28 million.... in advance?

It that's so, what's to stop those with the money from retiring to some island somewhere?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Paid in advance, hmmm... Just checked the 'rollout' page, almost $28 million.... in advance?

It that's so, what's to stop those with the money from retiring to some island somewhere?
    If its a kickstarter.... Nothing

If its a "pre-order" via a companies website then they are legally bound to abide by commerce law and fulfill there proposed outcome for the funds
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Kickstarter pay out when the KS funding finishes its run. So in effect if the KS has finished then they will have paid out the money.
    You did what !

If its a "pre-order" via a companies website then they are legally bound to abide by commerce law and fulfill there proposed outcome for the funds
    Unless it's an LLC or Ltd then they can just fold the company
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    If its a kickstarter.... Nothing

Kickstarter pay out when the KS funding finishes its run. So in effect if the KS has finished then they will have paid out the money.

Not a Kickstarter.

Unless it's an LLC or Ltd then they can just fold the company
    Yep true that

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Not a Kickstarter.
    Ahh ok, haven't been following the glowforge scene so wasn't sure.
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Whoever claimed a December "release" date was mistaken, whether he realized it or not. It appears the company is shipping a few beta test units. I wouldn't consider a product "released" until it is for sale to the general public. People who are paying in advance are simply buying a promise.