Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Correct Scott and you see that here in this thread from the very beginning, how everyone who invested in one will fight to the death to tell us how great they are with out ever even seeing one.Doesn't matter what the users here with years of experience tell them, they know this machine is great. Whats the price of a proGF machine now? I thought I read in the neighborhood of 5K.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Yep, Bert, I got my 1300x900 80 watt EFR tube with a rotary, (oh, gf can only do less than 2 inch items rigt?) With true chiller and exhaust, delivered, with customs paid For less than their model that doesn't exist yet. Most 3d printers that are at the gf price point are toys, yes they do make items, and are decent, but quality is still just ok. And time to make is way long. Now if you need that item reproduced and the material strength of the 3d is enough, then fine. But they really are hype at this point. Another 5 years, maybe. Now a sla machine at 50k? Different animal.

Real? They still dont have thir scanning right, it appeared in videos, that the engraving times were much shorter than reality. Just go look at the originals. That I was going to be much more powerful than reality. Now a lot is not overtly stated, but implied. there have been an enourmous percent of items posted that were done on other machines the anticipation that the gf can replicate. A cheap eBay machine has more capability. Maybe false is wrong word, overly optimistic is kind.. I'm sorry, I still think there's s going to be a LOT of buyers sorely disappointed once they get their hands on a machine. If they do.
    Last edited by John Lifer; 06-11-2017 at 7:48 PM.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    But I will say a few are shipping. Good for them....
    Picture and Times from a project:
    https//cdn-business2.discourse.org/uploads/glowforge/original/3X/a/7/a73daa086dbb0080d9b30b3710a892db4f0c4837.JPG

. Here are the stats for those keeping score:
    1/8" Proofgrade Maple. 5" by 3 1/4. Cut at 100 power / 27 speed. Deep Engrave. Processing time 16:22.

That is kind of extreme times when you consider engraving is about 2" x 2" and the rest vector cut
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Those looking for reviews can find some on Amazon and there's a whole slew more on the GF forum, if you need something to read.

I looked at the price's there now $3000 basic no air filter $3745 with a filter and the pro is $6000 you got to be kidding me. What happen to anyone can afford it . This is not a hobby machine price I can get a real nice 60 or 80 watt 6040 or bigger for 6K and the retail is 8 large I can't stop laughing/OMG
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If someone is - uh - dedicated enough to wait this long for a laser printer that was promised such a long time ago, I would tend to question the objectiveness of their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If someone is - uh - dedicated enough to wait this long for a laser printer that was promised such a long time ago, I would tend to question the objectiveness of their opinion.
    Todat Art wins the internet
    You did what !

t becomes more of a chore than a pleasure and they stop posting.
    Exactly this, speaking personally I don't really feel a great need to answer the same question countless times because the asker hasn't bothered with the search function before asking.
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    No, what you'll see then in a classic case of Confirmation Bias. "I bought one and it's amazing". People who paid money for something they selected isn't the same thing as an objective review. Put one in an environment where it's tested against other laser engraving machines, Chinese and Western. Run it through a battery of tests and report the results. Having someone that bought one say how great it is proves absolutely nothing. Ever heard of a friend or family with a new car that said it was horrific and the worst thing they ever bought, 2 weeks after buying it? Probably not. Confirmation Bias. If anyone isn't familiar with it, here's a link to get you started.... https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...firmation-bias
    Yup exactly Scotty, rather than expect Gf to meet expectations I would suggest we will just see a lowering of those expectations to meet reality. I remember in the early days somebody telling me that Glowforge will put me out of business....I'm still trying to work out how a chinese based 40 watt peak cutter will get through 25mm stainless...maybe I'm just doing it wrong

I have plenty of lasers, Chinese, US , Western and Japanese, send me a GF and I'll do a hard comparison between them in a real work environment.

The problem is, it's easy to impress people who have nothing to compare it to, give a starving man a cracker and it will be the best cracker in the world, nothing tastes better than their cracker. Until somebody gives them an Oreo
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I looked at the price's there now $3000 basic no air filter $3745 with a filter and the pro is $6000 you got to be kidding me. What happen to anyone can afford it . This is not a hobby machine price I can get a real nice 60 or 80 watt 6040 or bigger for 6K and the retail is 8 large I can't stop laughing/OMG
    I paid less than $6000 including freight and import fees for a 6090 sized machine with a 100W RECI tube.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Exactly this, speaking personally I don't really feel a great need to answer the same question countless times because the asker hasn't bothered with the search function before asking.

Exactly!!!!
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by chase standifer View Post
    If you think 3D printers are toys you should probably look into the technology again. They have a steep learning curve, but even consumer level machines can do some amazing things now.
    I have a few nice 3D printers and outsource for prototyping prior to commiting to tooling. 3D printers are good for exactly that: prototyping. For production, I'd say they are still toys.

Regarding splitting into sub-forums, how about appending the OP's machine type to their name in the thread list. "Started by JohnDoe, 06-01-2017 4:11 PM" > "Started by JohnDoe - GF, 06-01-2017 4:11 PM" this would make scanning the threads easier.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    I paid less than $6000 including freight and import fees for a 6090 sized machine with a 100W RECI tube.
    My big 1390 Triumph, that I affectionately call 'The Dumpster' (because as shipped it weighed over 1/2 ton and came in a 4 cubic yard crate)
    tripickup.jpg

was base priced at all of $2900 with a non-moving table and 80w RECI. With the cheap chiller, blower, air pump, extra lens and 2 mirrors, shipping, boat ride and wire xfer fee brought it to $3615. Customs, broker, shipping from the coast and even a charge to wash out the truck came to $1158, which brought the grand total to $4773 to my door.

By the pound it cost half as much as ribeye steak! -- I bought the thing as an experiment, and hoped it would work out... It worked out
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yea Kev this GF is way off in price for what it is. I don't believe I'm going to say this but you can still buy an FSL 20x12 for 3500$ they have cooling and exhaust venting and air assist. and from what I've been reading their support is getting better. I know I bad mouth them a lot in the past but it was mostly for the crappy support and their attitude. The machine worked when it had a good tube in it, and had good software.I'm sure for the price its better then a GF oh wash my mouth out with soap MATT.LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Yea Kev this GF is way off in price for what it is. I don't believe I'm going to say this but you can still buy an FSL 20x12 for 3500$ they have cooling and exhaust venting and air assist. and from what I've been reading their support is getting better. I know I bad mouth them a lot in the past but it was mostly for the crappy support and their attitude. The machine worked when it had a good tube in it, and had good software.I'm sure for the price its better then a GF oh wash my mouth out with soap MATT.LOL
    The thermostat in Hades might need to be adjusted up a little today. You sound like a very reasonable person, Bert.

Hope you're putting lots of miles on your bike this summer.