So I finally got my brand new band saw off the shipping pallet and onto the mobile base I have been meaning to make for it. Thought Id share this info here in case anyone else out there needed the help.

After looking at the Hammer offering for a mobilty kit (LINK and LINK) I was very disappoint that two parts had to be purchased, it was $250 plus shipping and sales tax, it kept the saw working table at the same height and it did not offer 360 degree turning. I also couldnt find any off the shelf products that satisfied my criteria either. So I decided I had to build one.

Here is what I came up with:

Hammer N4400 Mobile Base Drawing.JPG Hammer N4400 Mobile Base Only.jpg

Parts Used:
  • 8ft 4"x6" Pine
  • 8 x 1/2" x 6" Hex Head Lag Screws
  • 8 x 1/2" Washers
  • 16 x 1/4" x 3/4" Hex Head Lag Screws
  • 16 x 1/4" Washers
  • 4 x 3", Locking, Swivel, 220lb Casters (McMaster-Carr 23055T41 LINK)
  • 1 Quart Valspar Raw Wood Primer/Sealer
  • 1 Quart Color Matched Latex Paint

This Solution gave me an increase in working table height of around 6 inches, full 360 degree mobility, a wider and very stable base, and added heft/weight for more stability. And best of all it cost significantly less than the less superior Hammer offering!

And finally the finished product:

File Dec 14, 10 41 31 AM.jpeg

Still not done setting up the saw as you can see. Just got the ceramic guides and table mounted on there, but you get the idea.
Hope this helps someone out there.
Next up I am working on making a steel framed extension table and extension arm. Ill post a separate thread on that endeavor.