Thread: Hamer n4400 or felder fb510?

Blog Entries

Hamer n4400 or felder fb510?

Is the 510 worth the 40% increase over the 4400. Both are on sale right now. I was leaning toward the 4400 but after looking at the specs over and over it seems the felder is the better value.

Has anyone used both to compare?

I was doing the same back and forth a few months ago myself but also including the N3800. I ended up with the N4400. I got to play with all of three of them at my local Felder/Hammer distributor (lucky to have one local) and they are all IMO equal quality machines. Really comes down to what youll be using yours for and how much machine youll need to do that. There was a thread on the same topic at festoolownersgroup, but their site appears to be down right now so I cant find it for you. If I remember when its back up Ill post it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If you plan to resaw with a carbide blade, the 510 is better. Dave

I looked at 510 and 4400, ordered 510 because of larger cutting height 16" vs. 12", more ripping capacity 18.8" vs. 16.5, larger table size 500x640 vs. 420x575 (mm), heavier weight 250kg vs. 170kg. Also 510 comes with new ceramic guide and F-coupling railing system on 3 sides of the table. 4400 has round bar on only 1 side.

510 is a very nice bandsaw.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    I looked at 510 and 4400, ordered 510 because of larger cutting height 16" vs. 12", more ripping capacity 18.8" vs. 16.5, larger table size 500x640 vs. 420x575 (mm), heavier weight 250kg vs. 170kg. Also 510 comes with new ceramic guide and F-coupling railing system on 3 sides of the table. 4400 has round bar on only 1 side.

510 is a very nice bandsaw.

James
    The ceramic guides are an additional cost on either saw (maybe just a US thing) and there is a rail system for the N4400 too if you want to buy Hammer/Felder's way overpriced table extension addons and accessories. I am building my own table extensions out of steel and plywood for a fraction of the cost.

As a side note I also built my own mobile base as theirs was I thought too expensive for what you got and I wanted the table height to be higher on my N4400 which making your own base can do.

Here's a link to the write up I did on my mobile base: LINK
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 12-18-2015 at 5:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    .. I got to play with all of three of them at my local Felder/Hammer distributor (lucky to have one local) ...
    What?! Years ago I visited the Sacramento Felder/Hammer showroom when I was researching my jointer/planer. But then Felder/Hammer closed the showroom -- I thought. I understood they still had sales folks there, but no demonstration capability, and no stock. So what's the current state of affairs there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    The ceramic guides are an additional cost on either saw (maybe just a US thing) and there is a rail system for the N4400 too if you want to buy Hammer/Felder's way overpriced table extension addons and accessories. I am building my own table extensions out of steel and plywood for a fraction of the cost.

As a side note I also built my own mobile base as theirs was I thought too expensive for what you got and I wanted the table height to be higher on my N4400 which making your own base can do.
    I am in Canada. I paid in Canadian dollar which is pretty much same as the current US sale price considering exchange rate last month, and it includes the new ceramic guide and two blades. The F-coupling system is good, since you could use the extension table on other Felder machines like J/P and saw/shaper combo.

They showroom in West Sacramento was open in August 2015 and still shows on their website:
    http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/search-locations.html

They had several products on display (Hammer N4400, A3-31, a combination machine, and some Felder products). Seeing the tools was helpful to understand the changeover process and understanding the mechanics of how the blade guard moves around.

My understanding is that they recevied shipments through the port of Sacramento and the shipments could be picked up at their site,
    but, at that time, they didn't have the infrastructure to support shipping from the site for local delivery.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 12-18-2015 at 9:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What?! Years ago I visited the Sacramento Felder/Hammer showroom when I was researching my jointer/planer. But then Felder/Hammer closed the showroom -- I thought. I understood they still had sales folks there, but no demonstration capability, and no stock. So what's the current state of affairs there?
    They are stocking more and more and putting display what they can. I was able to pick up my N4400 from them and drive it home.

Also here is the link to the FOG thread I was referring to: LINK

EDIT: Fixed the link.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 12-18-2015 at 1:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input. Im certainly leaning more to the 510.

Jared, you might consider visiting the Felder/Hammer showroom, in Delaware. Depending on where you are in Northern Virginia, it might be only an hour or two away.

Hi Jared,

If you decide to buy a 510, make sure that your poly V-belt doesn't vibrate and emits buzzing sound and high-frequency vibration, like a giant bee is flying around in the lower housing. You can literary see the belt vibrates like a guitar string.

The poly V-belt came with my unit was very thick and stiff, which could not smoothly rotate around the small pulley of the motor. I exchanged the belt with a more flexible one and the saw became much quieter and smoother, although the longevity is yet to be tested.

It seems not everybody is having the same issue, but if you do, I can forward the information of the V-belt.

Susumu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Jared, you might consider visiting the Felder/Hammer showroom, in Delaware. Depending on where you are in Northern Virginia, it might be only an hour or two away.

Ha thats a great idea. Its only 130 miles. I think ill be making a trip

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Ha thats a great idea. Its only 130 miles. I think ill be making a trip
    Dan is our area sales rep. I already own a A 31 so any of the table extension would work on the N4400 so that would be my choice. The Felder units are quite nice though.