Thread: What is a nice finishing product for Spalted Maple? To be used as a bench.

What is a nice finishing product for Spalted Maple? To be used as a bench.

Hey folks, as the title suggest I am finishing a bench which has undergone a spalt and this spalted area is close to half the surface area. Any ideas for a finish does not make the spalt look dull while also being fairly durable as people will be sitting on it regularly. Thanks!
    Also I am located in SW Ontario but could order something on Amazon if needed.

Indoor or outdoor bench?

Spalted wood is not very strong; make sure it is structurally sound. The appropriate varnish (interior or exterior) would probably work best.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

The slab is two inches thick and has a good percentage of non spalted which runs the length of the board, and will hopefully support the weaker areas, there has been no cause for concern up to this point.
    What would an appropriate varnish be? Also here in Ontario the temp is close to 0 (freezing temp) and so I was considering Waterlox Original Gloss with some pure turpentine to aid with the flow out and leveling. Does anyone have recommendations for the mix, which proportions to use etc.

A varnish would be fine. Waterlox Original is one of the best available. If it's an outside bench (you didn't say) then Waterlox Marine would be the correct choice.
    Anything below 55° will take some time to cure; maybe months at 0°. The turpentine will not make it cure faster. I may help it flow out a belittle better. Mineral Spirits will do the same and doesn't smell nearly as strong as turpentine.

You would be better off getting it to a room that is 70° or more if you can.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.