View Poll Results: Which Doweling Jig?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dowelmax Classic

7 29.17%
  • JessEm Paralign 08300

12 50.00%
  • A Different Product (Please Comment In Thread)

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doweling Jigs: Dowelmax Classic VS JessEm Paralign 08300

Question Doweling Jigs: Dowelmax Classic VS JessEm Paralign 08300

Dowelmax Classic (LINK) VS JessEm Paralign 08300 (LINK)

1002683-06-1000.jpg VS 08300-2.jpg FIGHT!!!

Been thinking about picking up a doweling jig and seem to have narrowed it down to one of these two. However Im having a bit of trouble deciding which to go with. To be honest they really seem to do the exact same thing, with price and fit/finish points going to the JessEm. It even looks pretty much all the available accessories are equal. But maybe there is something I'm missing between the two which is why I wanted to ask you fine folks first.

So what do you guys/gals think? Which gets your vote and why?
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 12-16-2015 at 6:09 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Jessem O8350

Bill Huber did a review some time back ... here is the review.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2UfDYCc-nSxzrA
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the Dowel Max and like it. I got it before the Jessem was on the market. I have never seen or used the Jessem? but I would buy the DM again.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the 8300. I love it. It's totally machined and symetrical and that allows me to use it in ways to make joints that Jessem probably never dreamed of. I have often removed the fence and used it with Woodpecker's square to install dividers or shelves in the middle of cabinets. I don't use the spacing rods but instead use various lengths of long 1/4-20 bolts in their place and steel spacer bushings to have different and repeatable spacing setups.

I have the Jessem 8300 and am very happy with it. No shims/spacers like the Dowel Max.

I have had the dowelmax since pluto was a pup..stellar tool. sorry, have never used the jessem
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I owned the Dowelmax and now own the new Jessem 8350 (little Brother version of the Paralign). I like the Jessem better. Both work fantastically accurately. I find the Jessem more intuitive. You don't have to take it apart to adjust the depth. Also, the depth markers are useful on the Jessem.

All this being said, - and I hate to go off topic on you - consider whether the Domino is affordable to you. I own both the Jessem and a Domino and find the Domino far more quick and versatile. The dowel jigs are not good at drilling on angled faces and so many other weird joinery applications that are hard to articulate. All I can say is that it's far more versatile than I imagined when I bought it.

Shoot, if you want my 8350 PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I owned the Dowelmax and now own the new Jessem 8350 (little Brother version of the Paralign). I like the Jessem better. Both work fantastically accurately. I find the Jessem more intuitive. You don't have to take it apart to adjust the depth. Also, the depth markers are useful on the Jessem.

All this being said, - and I hate to go off topic on you - consider whether the Domino is affordable to you. I own both the Jessem and a Domino and find the Domino far more quick and versatile. The dowel jigs are not good at drilling on angled faces and so many other weird joinery applications that are hard to articulate. All I can say is that it's far more versatile than I imagined when I bought it.

Shoot, if you want my 8350 PM me.
    While I do value your opinion Prashun as you offer a lot of good advice around here, I must admit I am trying to avoid getting into the Festool system as I think its terrible how much they charge for their tools. I find it offensive.

Also thank you for the offer, but I am really only considering the two options mentioned in this thread right now. Though Im sure someone will hit you up about your 8350, as from what Ive seen thats a good and popular product.

The Domino is better than any dowel jig. And a tenon is superior to dowels. If you can afford a Domino, go that way.

Also, you'll find that you use the Domino more and more as you gain experience with it. It's not a tool that you put on the shelf and only pull out a couple of times a year.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Point taken. Given your position, I genuinely believe you'll be happy with either.

Mike, the OP didn't ask about dowel vs Domino.

I've never used the DM but have the Jessem and like it a lot. Very well made product, and Bill Huber has some great mods for it and tutorials.

Agree with Prashun. I have both 8300 and 8350 Jessem as well as domino.
    I think the Jessem jigs are more accurate than domino (I disagree with Mike in this regard) but domino is waaaaay faster. It is pricy but for me when I had a lot of work to do in our house and time was money it was well worth it (every penny I paid).
    I still use the 8300 often when doing case work and I want to get alignment before screwing/nailing things.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Agree with Prashun. I have both 8300 and 8350 Jessem as well as domino.
    I think the Jessem jigs are more accurate than domino (I disagree with Mike in this regard) but domino is waaaaay faster. It is pricy but for me when I had a lot of work to do in our house and time was money it was well worth it (every penny I paid).
    I still use the 8300 often when doing case work and I want to get alignment before screwing/nailing things.
    I do NOT want to start this thread into a Festool vs anything else discussion/argument as there are already WAY too many of those out there, but what you mentioned about the Domino being less accurate is something I have read quite a few times around the net from people that actually own both a good doweling jig and the Domino. Since time is not a concern for me that was also another push to go the good quality doweling jig route.

Due respect Matt, OP DID ask in the poll 'Different product (comment in thread)'. Which some of us might have misconstrued to mean other joinery tools - not just doweling jigs.

That being said, OP also has made it clear subsequently he's interested in one of the two dowel jigs. So, while we're free to say professionally whatever we want, IMHO it'll serve him best to keep the Domino out of this particular thread.