Thread: Router Table Fence

Router Table Fence

I am looking to replace my split router table fence with one that will allow me to use it trimming material. Mine is based on a design I found that has a split face backed with a solid piece so the two sides are co-planer. I have been looking around at ones to buy and plans for making my own. The Incra Wonder fence seems pretty nice and I think it would do what I want, but at $250 is more than I wanted to pay.

The key part for me is that the out feed fence has to adjust by at least 1/8", but would like to have the ability to do 1/4".

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Can you place spacer shims behind the outeed side of the fence you are using?

I have the Incra LS-120 It is indipenedantly adjustable by the thou. I've had mine for over 10 years. I would not change it for nothing. Its worth it. If you cant change shim it.

http://incra.com/router_table_fences...ndard_sys.html

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjY6e4rF

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Connor View Post
    Can you place spacer shims behind the outeed side of the fence you are using?

I can and have done it, but it never works out perfectly. Inevitably, the out feed side is out of alignment which results in the last inch or two of the piece getting a bump in it.

The work I am doing is exact enough that I need to eliminate that.

Check the JessEm Master Fence II. Also look at the JessEm Clear-Cut Stock Guides for the router table fence. Not cheap but very high quality.

My fathers design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I can and have done it, but it never works out perfectly. Inevitably, the out feed side is out of alignment which results in the last inch or two of the piece getting a bump in it.

The work I am doing is exact enough that I need to eliminate that.
    This is a problem with your spacers or the supporting surface that the split fence faces secure to. If you could resolve that, spacers should work perfectly. That being said, a fairly basic (less expensive or shop made) fence will allow accurate "jointing". I use a simple Rockler fence that I picked up on clearance when they changed style. They are currently on sale for less than I paid on clearance for an older design. I shim with Formica and 1/8" tempered hardboard spacers. They also make commercial versions for next to nothing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Incra is well worth it. The LS Positioner is micro adjustable like few others.

The Wonderfence is excellent for jointing and trimming thousandths off of door edges and the like. The key is that the fence has integral wedges on each side of its split face. Moving those wedges left and right is how you shim the faces. They're very precise.

The only downside is you have always know 'where that confounded screwdriver is!?!?!?!?!'