Thread: Staining Douglas Fir or White Pine to Look Like Cherry Heartwood

Staining Douglas Fir or White Pine to Look Like Cherry Heartwood

I will be ordering two fiberglass clad wood doors from Milgard and I have the option of selecting either eastern white pine (EWP) or vertical grain douglas fir (VGDF). In the room where the doors will be installed my cabinets are aged, all heartwood cherry with a clear finish so they have that classic medium dark brown color at this point. The wood for the cabinets was hand selected for knots, defects and inclusions so they are very rustic looking.

My question is if you had to make either EWP or VGDF look as much like naturally aged cherry heartwood as possible which species would you choose? What stain would you use? If there is not a difference in the staining qualities of either of these woods which species is better suited to the interior side of an exterior door?

Thanks,

Tim

I think the Fir would be easier to match the color... Doubtful either will match the cherry's grain.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Fir/Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain.

Fir is good stuff, much better than Pine.

Seal the Fir first with Blotch Control or a wash coat of 7 parts alcohol to 1 part 3# cut shellac and apply the stain.
    I agree w/Scott, matching the grain pattern is going to be tough - -doable - -but it's going to border on "graining" instead of simple staining.

Graining is putting on materials and using special graining tools to apply a simulated wood grain.
    I knew a professional painter that had a real talent for that.
    He could grain a metal door & it looked so much like real wood, you had to tap it with a fingernail to be sure.

I used to be ok doing it back when I was giving classes on it - but - he was in a league all by himself.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Scott and Rich,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I knew that the grain would be an issue with both even though pine tends to have a little more movement than VGDF. But if fir is a better wood than pine, which I suspected it was then I think that is my decision. Since Milgard only offers these two woods and I don't want to go for a fully custom wood door. I will have to make the best out of it. I think we would be happy just getting the color close. Rich, the graining idea is interesting, I will look into it. I will also take a look at the Rustoleum product.