Thread: Need some guidance

Need some guidance

Hello everyone, I have been researching for the past week or so on a machine to purchase. I am looking to use it to cut 1/4 acrylic and possibly up to 1/2" wood. I am looking to add this machine to grow my business and have it as a new addition.

I have been looking at the following machine:

G. Weike LC6090

Full Spectrum Pro-series 24x16 (nervous due to all the bad reviews on the H series, curious to know peoples thoughts on their pro series)

Boss LS - 1620

Morntech MT-l570 60w

Frontline Laser FL6040 Laser

My top choices so far are the LC6090 and the Full spectrum.

I really don't want to spend over 7,000 for the overall process of buying and getting the machine to me. Any inside would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the laser world and very excited but do not want to jump the gun and a poor made machine and software.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-13-2015 at 1:45 PM. Reason: Removed links to eBay

This question gets asked about once or twice a week.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-13-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    This question gets asked about once or twice a week.
    Between these exact machines? Could you please show me those posts as I couldn't find them

I think he meant questions about what kind of machine should I get...

Your best off to google those specific machines for more info. Lot's of times a sawmill creak forum thread will come up, and it's easier then trying to search via the sawmill creek route.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Boss LS - 1620 I have one. It does every thing i want it to do and then some. Bosslaser best customer support there is. I can not complain one bit. My 1620 does every thing i want it to do plus
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    Boss LS - 1620 I have one. It does every thing i want it to do and then some. Bosslaser best customer support there is. I can not complain one bit. My 1620 does every thing i want it to do plus
    What laser wattage did you go with? Also, it says working area and engraving area.. Will it cut up to the full work area size or can you explain it a little better for me?

A 60 watt laser is not going to cut 1/2" wood and will be pretty slow with 1/4" wood or acrylic Seriously I'd stay away from anything FSL just look at the reviews there cheap for a reason. You'll get a much better machine going with one of the other Chinese imports such as Rabbit Laser , Boss laser or auto Tech. All USA based companies with decent support and part right here.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    A 60 watt laser is not going to cut 1/2" wood and will be pretty slow with 1/4" wood or acrylic Seriously I'd stay away from anything FSL just look at the reviews there cheap for a reason. You'll get a much better machine going with one of the other Chinese imports such as Rabbit Laser , Boss laser or auto Tech. All USA based companies with decent support and part right here.
    I figured that about FSL, I was considering it as almost all the bad reviews are on their hobby laser. I haven't found much on their pro lasers and know a few people that run them and love them. Is a 80W or 100W upgrade worth it or will 60W be good if I stuck with 1/4" materials?

Ok so you're looking at two different things. One the boss rabbit, fsl etc are Chinese lasers with us support. G weike is a Chinese laser with Chinese support. Very different support wise. How important is timely support? If it's a factor or if you want to know you can call someone when things go wrong (and they do go wrong from time to time) then go with a laser with USA support.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

If you know nothing about laser engraving or the machines, you need to purchase a Name brand machine with US support, as Epilog, ULS and Trotec, I know nothing about Boss laser but Rabbit Laser USA with Ray Scott is a first class company with first class USA support. If you purchase a laser off eBay or direct import from China your kind of on your own. Another option is a used Name brand machine that might be a trade in, but nobody usually trades in 50 or 60 watt machines.

I purchased for my first machine from someone who advertises on here, Automation Technologies in Chicago, A Chinese machine true but I am not your normal first time user, I had a few years of CNC and commercial electrical background. I did my research and tried not to ask questions until I did some searching.

BTW I can cut 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick white pine with my ULS laser.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-13-2015 at 7:36 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I am looking to use it to cut 1/4 acrylic and possibly up to 1/2" wood. A laser is the wrong tool for 1/2 wood most of the time if you are using DC fired tubes, RF will do it at lower powers but even then it's not really pretty.

I have been looking at the following machine:

G. Weike LC6090 Not bad, based on the Leetro controls, a bit "mechanical" in build with pretty worthless aftersales and technical support

Full Spectrum Pro-series 24x16 (nervous due to all the bad reviews on the H series, curious to know peoples thoughts on their pro series) Just don't go there

Boss LS - 1620 It's a weike with a different paintjob and higher price

Morntech MT-l570 60w Variation of the above

Frontline Laser FL6040 Laser Another Leetro based machine in a different colour

My top choices so far are the LC6090 and the Full spectrum. See above

I really don't want to spend over 7,000 for the overall process of buying and getting the machine to A $7,000 laser while not pocket change isn't going to be anything but Chinese with a different colour scheme and name, it will be running one of 4 control cards and likely all the same steppers , driver cards, bearing, rails and optics.

Any inside would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the laser world and very excited but do not want to jump the gun and a poor made machine and software.
    The only real variation in the above is the case and main cards, FSL use their own design cards (that cost $1,000 to replace) everybody else is a variation on a theme,Leetro, Awc or Ruida control cards bolted into different shape and colour cases.
    You did what !

Thanks for the info everyone! I am still researching deeply trying to learn as much as I can with each machine!