Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paypal security

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think you are on to something Jim. I did that before and that allowed Paypal to deposit into my account. BUT, I don't think I went back into PayPal to confirm that with them
    Yes, you do need to confirm. If you don't, they may have reason to think you are not who you say you are.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, you do need to confirm. If you don't, they may have reason to think you are not who you say you are.

jtk
    Thanks Jim, I just did the confirm and its all good to go without my login information

Yes - I have my bank linked also and have used that to have Paypal deposit money back into my checking account, its just now they want more. They want my login info. I feel that's too much information
    That's only for the instant confirmation.
    If you do the normal confirmation, they don't need your login info.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I've been using Paypal since 1999. Was nice when it was free. I don't remember the exact procedure back then, but I believe part of the verification was they USPS mailed verifications right to my house.

Anyway, in nearly 17 years, the ONLY glitch ever was about 3 years in, around the dot-com BS, they suspected a hack of a biz associate's account, so his and everyone he ever dealt with's accounts were frozen for a few days while they investigated. It was inconvenient, but I'd rather they hold my money than having someone steal it.

I do worry a bit every time they change owners, but no surprises...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Funny - not just the account but also my online sign in. That's what I don't like.

First they give me this on the PayPal home page
    Attachment 327029

Then I get directed here to confirm my bank info
    Attachment 327030
    I was never asked for my bank account sign in and would never give them that.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've worked in banking for 25 years. I wouldn't trust anyone with my login to my bank account. I confirmed by sending in a picture of my driver's license.

... not just the account but also my online sign in. That's what I don't like.
    I would not consider doing this.

Yes - I have my bank linked also and have used that to have Paypal deposit money back into my checking account, its just now they want more. They want my login info. I feel that's too much information
    That is just used to confirm you. If you're really concerned about it, after they confirm you, change your password. You should do that every now and again anyway. They do not need your password to do transactions with your account - based on your request to transfer money to or from your account.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I use a separate account for linking to PayPal and keep a minimum balance in that account and add when needed. I have had it that way for several years and have had no issues. I WOULD not link to my main account just as they recommend for debit cards.

Separate account is the best way to go IMO. Just make sure the second account is not transaction limited. For instance, a savings account may be limited to a few transactions per month.

Paypal (nor any other biz on the up n up) has ever asked for login info. What they should be asking for is routing numbers, yes?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Pat, sorry for implying that you might have been duped by a phishing email. I have since gone to Paypal and clicked through the "Add Bank Account" link and, sure enough, they wanted my login. Unbelievable. No, I will not give anyone that information no matter how much they promise to forget it.

I talked to my daughter today. She works for Paypal (the credit part not the banking part). She was as shocked as I at what they were asking for.

As far as providing them with checking account information I see no problem.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-14-2015 at 3:33 AM.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

So, yes, they need the bank routing numbers. They don't need the bank login info They offer that as a way to get instant results. I didn't use that way. The other way is that you need to wait a few days for them to make a couple small withdrawals from your account (less than a dollar total) and then redeposit. They ask you to verify the amounts. I failed to see the fine print on that method until Jim K helped me out. Now its all good.