Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paypal security

Paypal security

How much can I trust Paypal? They are asking me to link a bank account. In the past I think I linked a credit card but now they want the bank signin information. They will never divulge it (as far as they can guarantee). Do you folks link your banking information to Paypal. Am I worried without cause?

I have mine linked - been like that for a number of years. No problems so far.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

PayPal is really no different than a bank.

I have an online business, and with the linked bank account, it's easy to transfer money between my PayPal and bank accounts.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I use a separate account for linking to PayPal and keep a minimum balance in that account and add when needed. I have had it that way for several years and have had no issues. I WOULD not link to my main account just as they recommend for debit cards.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Never had a problem with PayPal.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I use a separate account for linking to PayPal and keep a minimum balance in that account and add when needed. I have had it that way for several years and have had no issues. I WOULD not link to my main account just as they recommend for debit cards.
    I agree. If PP has a bad day and the bad guys get your info, you've limited the damage they can do. Bad guys (literally) get paid to find ways into even well-secured systems. I never assume it can't happen to me - past performance is not a guarantee of future security.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have my account linked to my CC, but not my bank account.
    No freakin' way will I do that, just for the simple reason of they don't need it.
    I have never had a problem with Paypal. We use it for everything we can. It makes things so simple.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    ... they want the bank signin information...
    If someone is asking for signin information it's a scam. It's likely a phishing email. PayPal will only ask for the information that is printed on your check - the same info that anyone you send a check to can see. Never ever give your online signin information for any account to anyone.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    My experience with Paypal on this is about a decade old.

They asked for my banking information. After they had it they made two deposits of a few cents each. Then I verified the amounts and that indicated to them that I had legitimate access to the account.

It makes it easy to transfer money from Paypal to my banking.

In the last decade my credit cards have expired and changed numbers a few times. The bank routing hasn't changed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    If someone is asking for signin information it's a scam. It's likely a phishing email. PayPal will only ask for the information that is printed on your check - the same info that anyone you send a check to can see. Never ever give your online signin information for any account to anyone.
    This was no phishing email. This request comes directly from my Paypal account while I'm signed into Paypal and viewing my account status. I already have the CC linked and now they want the bank account. Funny - not just the account but also my online sign in. That's what I don't like.

First they give me this on the PayPal home page
    PayPal.PNG

Then I get directed here to confirm my bank info
    BankSignInRequest.PNG
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 12-12-2015 at 1:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have mine linked - been like that for a number of years. No problems so far.

Mike

Ditto for me too. No problems.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    This was no phishing email. This request comes directly from my Paypal account while I'm signed into Paypal and viewing my account status. I already have the CC linked and now they want the bank account. Funny - not just the account but also my online sign in. That's what I don't like.

First they give me this on the PayPal home page
    PayPal.PNG

Then I get directed here to confirm my bank info
    BankSignInRequest.PNG
    Do notice under the big blue button to "Confirm Instantly" there is a selection to confirm with random account deposits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Ditto for me too. No problems.
    Yes - I have my bank linked also and have used that to have Paypal deposit money back into my checking account, its just now they want more. They want my login info. I feel that's too much information

Blog Entries
    Another thing to consider is with my banking linked I can send money to others without any fees.

If a credit card is used, either the sender or the receiver (maybe both in some cases) will be charged a percentage fee.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do notice under the big blue button to "Confirm Instantly" there is a selection to confirm with random account deposits.

jtk
    I think you are on to something Jim. I did that before and that allowed Paypal to deposit into my account. BUT, I don't think I went back into PayPal to confirm that with them