Thread: Mistake in Ebony Spline Glue Up

Mistake in Ebony Spline Glue Up

I am making a Greene and Greene style coffee table and glued up the ebony splines in their mortises along the table top yesterday. This morning I realized that on one of them I mistakenly glued a small portion of the spline on the breadboard end--not the bottom or the sides thankfully, just the end of the spline about 5/16" by 3/16". Since that is the side that is supposed to slide with wood movement is that enough glue to stop the movement? If so, is there any way to loosen it? Heat and a thin piece of metal like from a thickness guide? I hate to start digging around there.ebony spline.jpg

Blog Entries
    I want to make sure I am picturing this right. You normally glue the spline to the table-top and allow the portion in the breadboard to float, yes? If so, where did the glue end up? On the end (tip) of the spline centered in the picture?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-10-2015 at 1:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes, your description is correct. Just the portion of the tip in the mortise is glued--about 5/16" x 3/16". I had mistakenly put glue on the breadboard end, realized it and wiped it off, but apparently didn't get the tip of the end.

Actually, I just realized this is end grain to end grain so I just gave it a sharp tap with a hammer right on the tip. I'm pretty sure that broke open that tiny seal. I can't really see inside or move it, but it sounded like it broke loose.