Thread: Draftsight CAD Software

Draftsight CAD Software

Has anyone used this software? Is it easier to use than Sketchup?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have - but i don't think anything's easier than sketchup ... they're not the same beast, though. Sketchup isn't really CAD in the traditional sense. CAD software like DraftSight has a learning curve that for me is steeper than it was for sketchup.

With any software that's complicated like this, you have to spend the up-front time to learn it and then keep using it so you don't lose those nuances over time.

Personally, there isn't an easier tool for drawing up 3D projects than sketchup for me.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    I have Sketch Up and AutoCad. Auto Cad is easier for me than Sketch Up. You might want to investigate Turbo Cad. I think it will open AutoCad files.

George
    Interesting product. I did a little research and it seems it was developed to overcome the issue of opening "real" CAD files from sources like Rhino, Autocad and solidworks. This is an issue with Sketchup that I'm dealing with at my real job but not an issue with my woodworking. Rarely is Sketchup used by engineers in the workforce.

Just my opinion but I think Sketchup is the easiest to learn and use and it has a lot of tutorials to learn from on the web. When i was learning, anytime i ran into an issue or didn't understand one of the tools, I watched a video. In fact, I have dual monitors so I would have the video open on one, pause it, try to do the same thing on the other monitor with Sketchup open, then play the video more.

The hardest part for me is that with woodworking I can see something once and typically retain it. With CAD, I had to push myself to keep learning and watching videos because it was a foreign language at the beginning, and I'm an old fart. If I can help you, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Instead of asking which is easier, you should determine which one is appropriate for what you need out of it. If 2D drawings will suit your needs, maybe it's worth investing the time to learn Draftsight or TurboCAD. If you want both 3D and 2D, maybe SketchUp is the better choice. How will you use the drawings you'll make with the computer program you're using? To whom do you need to show them?

I have Sketchup and cannot seem to be able to grasp it. I will only use the tool for making project plans for myself.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've offered to help you personally with SketchUp before. That offer never expired.

Maybe you'll find 2D easier. I don't know.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-10-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Draftsight is the free 2D software from Dassault Systems, best know for Solidworks. We use Solidworks and it is a great product for its intended use.

Sketchup is different. Dave's video and tutorial will get you going quickly by teaching you how to think in Sketchup work process.

This link to purchase Dave's tutorial will be the best $11 you spent learning just about anything. By comparison, the free tutorials available should pay you to use them:

http://www.tauntonstore.com/fine-woo...Fc2CfgodafkE1g

I'm using an older brother to the Draftsight product called IntelliCAD (looks very much the same). Both are very similar to AutoCAD (which is what I learned on). I also use Sketchup a lot. I use the 2D stuff mostly because it is quick and easy. To do a layout of joinery, produce a template, etc., it is really nice to have. Sketchup is greta for visualizing, designing, joinery, etc. For good old plans, I stick with the 2D stuff. I would suggest that you use both. Amazing how much you can do with "free" software! Yes, there is a learning curve to both. But, it won't take long before it becomes second nature. After all, you are drawing lines and maybe some curves and connecting them together. It takes a while to learn the terms, but they are all mostly self explanator/literal (snaps, endpoints, midpoints, perpendicular, etc.). You can't find a better teacher than Mr. Richards (look him up!) - his postings have helped me a HUGE amount - thank you sir! I find that 2D is better for plans and templates and 3D is better for visualizing, sizing, joinery, etc. For reference, I am speaking to the free versions of all of these. For the volume that I do, I can't justify the cost of the paid versions. Great tools to have in your arsenal. You'll be glad you learned either. Oh, I find that editing the 2D drawings is much easier. It is all relative to your experience/expertise. I'm sure an experienced Sketchup user could do anything I can do with IntelliCAD or Draftsight.

Good example....I was making a clock the other day...needed to lay out the face...in about 5 minutes, I had a face drawn in IntelliCAD with all the centerlines and centerpoints marked. Printed it and applied it with 3M spray and started drillilng. Quick, easy, accurate. I modeled the clock in Sketchup initially to see what my idea would look like and work out proportions (I was sizing to fit the piece of walnut I had).

Good luck with it. Be patient!

Tony

Blog Entries
    I use both Sketch Up and AutoCad. The reason I use AutoCad is that I used it professionally for 30 years and it is easier for me harvest my effort.
    Dave Richards is knowledgeable and offers to help with Sketch Up. You guys should take advantage of the offer.

Sketch Up is a powerful cad software and you sure can't beat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Sketchup is different.
    This is key, Sketchup is a very different software than a traditional CAD package. Sketchup was designed for doing sketches, not making precise engineering drawings like most CAD software. If you have experience with a traditional CAD program and just can't get your head around how Sketchup works, you could try Draftsight. If you're just struggling with doing modeling on a computer I doubt it would be any easier.

Something else to try is a relatively new software package from Autodesk (the makers of AutoCAD) is Fusion 360, which is a very nice full featured CAD/CAM package. Assuming you aren't a large commerical shop its also free! Might as well give it a try!