Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to take off with each pass on the jointer

How much to take off with each pass on the jointer

We have an 8 inch jointer and just added the helical cutter head. I was watching my son run a 6 ft cherry board, 2 inches thick by approx 6 inches wide and he was really putting a lot of effort into each pass; looked and he was taking of roughly 1/16th with each pass. Got me wondering if we are doing something wrong with our technique or taking too much off at a pass, or something else. To give an idea, when we joint a roughly flat board, we can normally accomplish it in 3 - 4 passes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Blog Entries
    Wax the beds . . . no, seriously. The difference in ease of material movement is equal to that when you wax your planer beds. Generally I take less (1/32" or less) but, a 1/16" is not too much depending on material and width IMHO. If I have a really wonky board I will take bigger bites to get where I am going quicker.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-10-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Won`t lower the actual effort required, but if you drive a small drywall screw just proud of the surface your push pads it sure helps with "gription" on rough sawn lumber.

I think 1/16 is fine for edge jointing but probably too much for face jointing. Mine is set at 1/32 and it requires little effort.
    - Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    I think 1/16 is fine for edge jointing but probably too much for face jointing. Mine is set at 1/32 and it requires little effort.
    Plus 1 for 1/32.

The push blocks you use on your table saw will work on the jointer.

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind the heavier the cut the more likely there will be tear out in the curly grain areas. Waxing the table surfaces will definitely decrease the sliding friction without harming the wood surface.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I wax my table and take off about 1/32". Even then, when jointing 8/4 maple that's 8" wide and 8' long, it requires a good bit of effort. I think the bigger and heavier the lumber, the harder it is to joint. I can joint the same wood but only 4" wide and 4' long with no issues.

Hi Scott, my experience with the helical head is that they require more oomph from the operator than straight knives.

I normally take 1 or 2 mm per pass.

Since 2mm is more than 1/16" I don't see it as excessive...............Regards, Rod.

P.S. Of course wax the beds also as others have said or use a planing lubricant.

Type of wood is a factor, but I choose to take less than a 1/16" (more like 1/32") per pass and make more passes.

The other factor about face jointing to consider, is that you don't have to get the entire surface jointed, just enough to create a planar surface whereby the board will run consistently on that face through the planer so you can get both faces planed nicely. Took me a while to realize this and that significantly reduced the unnecessary passes on the jointer.

1/16 is not too much unless it's tearout prone. Keep the bed and the fence waxed and it will make a huge difference. Also try to joint with the grain. I can tell by the sound if I'm going with or against the grain on my jointer. I usually take about 1/32 unless the board needs significant jointing to flatten then I'll take a bigger bite. Three or four passes is all I want to take to get it ready for the planer. Like Alan said, you don't have to get all the rough out, just enough to lay flat on the planer tables. If there is a slight cup in the board, you can leave some rough surface in the middle as long as the outside edges are jointed flat.

I saw my own lumber and it's all mill run, no sawing for grade, so I spend a lot of time jointing and planing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Scott, my experience with the helical head is that they require more oomph from the operator than straight knives.
    I don't have a helical head, and so no practical experience, but I would have expected just the opposite. Doesn't a helical have less blade "edge" in the wood at any instant in time? Maybe my assumption that less metal in wood leading to less effort to feed is wrong...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I do about 1/32". I don't change the "bite" so I use that for everything. Unless you're working on rough sawn wood it's fine. If I purchased rough sawn wood I'd probably set it up to take a bigger bite.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I too personally prefer light passes ~1/32 or under 1 mm with the helical head but I don't see anything wrong with taking more off. Having said that, lighter cuts generally leave a smoother surface and less tear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I don't have a helical head, and so no practical experience, but I would have expected just the opposite. Doesn't a helical have less blade "edge" in the wood at any instant in time? Maybe my assumption that less metal in wood leading to less effort to feed is wrong...
    There may be slightly less blade edge, but at least one blade is always in contact with the wood. A typical jointer with 3 blades will make a cut, then the head rotates a bit before the next blade makes contact. You may be doing most of the movement during the "dead" times when there is no back pressure. Helical heads are always pushing the wood back.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    There may be slightly less blade edge, but at least one blade is always in contact with the wood. A typical jointer with 3 blades will make a cut, then the head rotates a bit before the next blade makes contact. You may be doing most of the movement during the "dead" times when there is no back pressure. Helical heads are always pushing the wood back.

Steve
    Thanks for explanation Steve. makes sense.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher