Thread: free program to show GPS coordinates of pictures taken.

free program to show GPS coordinates of pictures taken.

So i have this canon camera that records the GPS coordinates in the EXIF file of the photo. What I want id a good free program that can display where the photos were taken on a map i suppose. the Canon utility for this is very poorly done and almost useless IMHO. TIA.

on iMac you can use Photos program - it will read EXIF file and create map with all places. I think a lot of photo-database program will do same.

Ed.

Blog Entries
    Do you just want to get the coordinates from the picture, or do you want a program that will read the info AND show you the coordinates on a map? The former is easy (IrfanView), the latter will be a more difficult search (though I'm sure there's something out there).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Do you just want to get the coordinates from the picture, or do you want a program that will read the info AND show you the coordinates on a map? The former is easy (IrfanView), the latter will be a more difficult search (though I'm sure there's something out there).
    I was hoping to get the photo coordinates to show up on a map using the gps information. it works in google maps if i click the icon next to the gps info when the EXIF panel is open. And from a bit of reading the canon utility will export a file that will import to google earth( i think) and then show the spots on a map. I went some walking tours in a number of cities and was hoping to be able to retrace the route taken. \I need to experiment a bit more.