Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triton 2 1/4 hp router Yea or Nay?

Triton 2 1/4 hp router Yea or Nay?

I'm in the market for a router (1st one, new to woodworking) and the Triton has definitely caught my eye but it seems like a real dice roll on getting a good one. That said may of the reviews I've seen are quite old so there's always the possibility that things have gotten better over time. There are plenty of glowing reviews that then are immediately followed by how terrible they can be, so I wonder am I better off to go with something else like a bosch?

Anyone have any experience with the Triton router good or bad that they'd like to share, or perhaps a recommendation for a similar router of a different brand?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RED

Got two of them 'nuff said

Personally I went with the more tried and Bosch 1617 kit for less.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Look at the DeWalt. I've seen good comments about it on the forum here. I don't own one but do own two of the DeWalt trim routers and like them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I started out with several Craftsman routers for 30 years, used a few PC ones along the way. Got the Dewalt 618 a few years back, and a Milwaukee
    All good machines, but when I built a table top router, I installed a Triton 2 1/4 and it is a pleasure to use. Quiet and powerful. Then installed the Triton 3 1/2 in a full size table in my second shop. Love the Tritons. All the others sit on the shelf.

Red,

I have used a few different routers - Bosch, Dewalt, porter cable and Milwaukee.
    My favorite hand-held is the DeWalt DW621. 2 HP and it has a great grip and good dust collection. My favorite router for table use is the Milwaukee 5625 3.5 hp. It is a beast - it has served me well for about 8 years.

Good luck

I have read a few complaints about Triton safety interlocks and bit changes. I don't remember the details, something to do with the need to fully extend the bit to engage the spindle lock. You might want to check that out before buying.

John

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Keep it coming.

If you are going to put your router in a router table get a Triton. If you are going to do free hand routing you might want to look at something less top heavy.

Huh, I would say if youre going to put your router in a table go for the more tried and true Porter Cable 7518.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Huh, I would say if youre going to put your router in a table go for the more tried and true Porter Cable 7518.
    But then you need a lift. The Triton has it all built it. Just screw it to a plate and you're done.

I had a 2.5 HP in my router table.
    Freud 1700.
    I was using a 3" panel raiser bit in it - which according to Freud was ok, but, the "gospel according to Pat Warner" warns strictly against.
    (prior to making any decision about a router, google "Pat Warner" and visit his site and study all he offers up in the way of knowledge and experience - the man forgot more about routers in the last week than any ten other people will know in a lifetime)

Anyhow - the Freud didn't make it. 90% of the way through the 4th raised panel it froze up on me.

I replaced it with a Milwaukee 5625 & all I can say is-- - WOW!!

Glenn Bradly here calls the 5625 "stupid power" & he's spot on correct.

The thing is a pure joy to use. It also has above table adjustment - like the Triton and the Freud.

For out of the table, I have a DeWalt 611PK - the compact 1.5 HP fixed and plunge set.
    Nice light powerful and nimble little set.
    I also have a Porter Cable 690 for those times I need a hand held router with a 1/2" shank bit.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Table use or handheld?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    Table use or handheld?
    Yes and no. I may get a table if I find I eventually need one but I think its primary home will be on the SSRK thing from Eurekazone.

In my research I've seen a couple of references to Tritons being top heavy, is that speculation or first hand experience, how does the top heavyness (is that a word) effect real world use?

I have the 3.25 hp Triton that I purchased when I added a second router table. I don't know the differences between mine and the one you are considering but I would assume they are similar.

I chose the Triton because it eliminated the need to also buy a router lift. I've only had it out of the table once (to take to a training class) but never ended up using it handheld. I would never consider using it for anything other than in a router table because it just doesn't feel right to me; maybe it's the balance or the plasticy knobs.

When table mounted, the above-the-table height adjustment hole is further back then the bit if you mount the router with the switch and speed adjustment facing forward; that makes it useless since, most of the time, the height adjustment hole would be buried behind the fence. If you mount the router turned (so that the height adjustment is towards the front) the switch would be towards the back. That would be fine since most router tables have their own separate switch, but you have to release a little door the covers the switch and turn the switch off every time you change a bit.

The shaft lock is nice. You just run the router all the way up and it automatically locks, requiring only one wrench to loosen the collet.

The power switch has a safety door on it that sucks. Since I use mine only in the table, I only have to fuss with it when I change a bit. If I was using it handheld, it would be very annoying.

The height adjustment is not smooth when trying to move it up and down to dial in on a setting; it kind of jumps and you have to really sneak up on it. I have heard that you do not need to lock the height; this is not true for me. The bit height does not stay dialed in unless I use the lock.

The router has a soft start and the motor is strong and runs fairly quiet.

I will end up replacing it with a different router and a lift. A dedicated lift has a few advantages over the Triton. You can easily remove the router from the table and put it in it's base for handheld routing. Also, the height adjustments are much more accurate and smooth and you don't have to lock it in position.

I think you can do better than the Triton. The Porter Cable 690 is an awesome router for about $100; they also have it available in a combo kit with a plunge base. It's light and small and doesn't have a bunch of plasticy knobs and adjustments on it. I bought one to dedicate to my dovetail jig setup but I like it so much I have been using it for everything. I may buy a couple more. It is not variable speed, though.

Considering your intended use and situation, I would suggest that you get a combo kit that includes a plunge base and standard base. You will be able to mount the standard base to your EZSmart Router Guide and still be able to remove the motor for use in the plunge base for handheld routing. In addition, when you get a table, you can get a lift that works with the same motor.

If you're set on getting the Triton, shoot me a PM, I'll sell you mine for a steal.

P.S. I have been looking into that EZSmart Router Guide. It looks like a nice tool. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Last edited by Michael Zerance; 12-10-2015 at 6:43 AM.
    - Mike