Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Use A Dewalt 18V Brad Nailer (DC608) Instead Of Traditional Air Nailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Hmmm.... So I spent a couple hours yesterday doing a bit of research on compressors. Being that this is just going to be for shop use maybe you guys are right about having a lighter air nailer as opposed to a heavier cordless one. And then I found the DeWalt kit (LINK) with a 2.6CFM 6gal compressor, hose and 18AWG brad nailer, all parts with good reviews, for the same price as the 18V DeWalt 18AWG cordless. Hmmm...
    I bought that Dewalt 18 gauge kit with 6 gal compressor, hose and nailer earlier this summer. While doing the finishing carpentry in our newly remodeled kitchen, it has worked well. I had a smaller PC 18 gauge nailer given to my by a former manager prior to my retirement. It is limited to 1 3/8" length brads IIRC. I keep it loaded with 1" brads and load the Dewalt with 2" brads. It's a quick switch for shorter nails or longer nails. That kit compressor also has 2 output connections so you can have 2 different guns connected simultaneously. For the price, it's turned out to be good value IMO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'll be contrarian and mention that I love the electric cordless. I have the DeWalt 608K. Never had a misfire, and the only times the nails failed to set were my own fault (e.g. not holding the gun firm enough). Beats dragging a compressor around. First time you get on a ladder to drive a few nails, you'll be glad you have a cordless.

Only downside is that the gun is on the large / heavy side. Hard to position in really tight spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I bought that Dewalt 18 gauge kit with 6 gal compressor, hose and nailer earlier this summer. While doing the finishing carpentry in our newly remodeled kitchen, it has worked well. I had a smaller PC 18 gauge nailer given to my by a former manager prior to my retirement. It is limited to 1 3/8" length brads IIRC. I keep it loaded with 1" brads and load the Dewalt with 2" brads. It's a quick switch for shorter nails or longer nails. That kit compressor also has 2 output connections so you can have 2 different guns connected simultaneously. For the price, it's turned out to be good value IMO.
    Ken, glad to read some real user experience. Thanks!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Ben....one thing....that compressor is LOUD! It's startled my wife a couple times.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a DC614, a 12v 16gauge. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Ben....one thing....that compressor is LOUD! It's startled my wife a couple times.
    Really? The listed 75.7dB made it seem like it should be fairly quiet. Either way it shouldnt be too much of an issue for me as I am pretty anal about wearing hearing protection when working. But good to consider.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I too have and use a Ryobi 18 gauge cordless brad nailer. I installed the base and casing in around 800 ft2 of our house mostly with it. But I also have a 16 gauge pneumatic, 23 gauge pinner, 18 gauge brad nailer, couple staplers, a nailer for 3/4 flooring and a stapler for thinner flooring and my wife has a framing nailer I get to use.

I wouldn't get a cordless as my first nailer. You will want several and it's much cheaper to go pneumatic. I have Bostitch, Porter Cable, and HF nailers. The HF are not as nice but they generally work fine. My 18 gauge stapler is a little weak - won't drive 1.5 inch staples like it's supposed to - but works with 3/4 and all the others work fine.

Nothing wrong with going cordless other than price plus the fact that not everything is available cordless - yet.

I was at Lowes today and saw a deeply discounted Stanley Bostitch compressor kit that included three guns and the hose for $199.00.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_691030-355-B...1&Ntt=bostitch
    - Mike

Tyler Tools has that (reconditioned) kit for $139.00.
    I bought a reconditioned roofing nailer from them a few years ago & the thing looked like it had never been used.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon