Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Latest Bevel-Up Smooth Plane

My Latest Bevel-Up Smooth Plane

This one is made with Stainless, Bronze, and Ebony. If I hadn't made the adjuster, I'd probably be a bit confused at what I was looking at... so, let me explain.

The top screw applies downward pressure onto the blade. The pin shaped end of the screw fits into a hole in the adjustment mechanism. This creates a pivot point.

The back stemmed knob drives a 1/2'' diameter pin via a 1/4''-40 screw. The pin fits into a corresponding hole in the blade. This controls the depth of cut.

The thumb wheel has internal threads (also 1/4''-40). It drives a bar left or right. The bar is fit tightly inside the planes side walls. This allows you to skew the entire apparatus and blade within the plane body.

The end result is a tight adjustment mechanism. Best of all, it allows the user to make very precise depth and skew adjustments "on the fly". There's no kneed to loosen the blade, make test cuts, or any other finicky things... just dial in your cut, go to town, and adjust as you see fit to.

Attached Images Attached Images

I can't even breathe .................

Me either Allan. Holy moly!

Mateo, I like this one best of all your planes so far. You've combined art and mechanical engineering (especially in that adjuster). I really like this one. Please answer a few qustions for us?
    1. What are the dimensions of the sole - is this plane block plane sized or is it a bit larger like a #2 or #3?
    2. How wide is your blade?
    3. What kind of steel is the blade - did you use stainless, A2 or something else? (I didn't know whether stainless keeps an edge, hence my question.)

Just beautiful Sir!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-05-2015 at 6:54 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The sole is 8 1/4'' and the blade is 1 7/8'' wide. I use 3/16'' thick A2 steel to make my blades.

Blog Entries
    It is a beauty.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Brilliant ! ....and Beautiful.
    This is not a tool, it's art and inspiration at a high level.

Wow.......

Blog Entries
    I like it! looks beautiful and very user friendly.

Mateo, I love seeing your planes. I've bid on a couple on ebay just to dream, but never make it too high. Your new adjustment mechanism looks unbelievably nice to use, and your machining skills are top notch. I hope to make an infill myself someday, but I doubt I'd ever reach this level. Do you heat treat the blades yourself?

I've never seen anything like this. Beautiful, and looks highly functional.

I heat treat and temper my own blades. I've got a small knife maker's oven. They're a godsend.

wow! thats beautiful

Blog Entries
    Terrific work!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

... a work of art.

Craftsman

You are a craftsman of the highest order.
    David