Thread: Help with a quick and easy finish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with a quick and easy finish

This a basic "tack" chest used for storing horse things. I don't have horses but live in horse country. I am making this chest for somebody who will use it and it will live in a barn throughout the New England year.

For most of my projects I use wipe-ons like Waterlox, and have recently gone to GF Arm r seal. For smaller projects and picture frames I tend to use shellac.

I can't envision spending the time hand wiping several coats on this chest that will probably be sat on and banged up pretty quick. I do not have a sprayer and have no experience with one. I was hoping there was something that was durable, fast, and looks decent. Maybe something in a spray can, but I am open to suggestions.

When i say "durable" I don't need it to survive a season at the bottom of the ocean. I know we can all get caught up in strength and durability but.....the barn now has what looks like pine toy boxes with a stain only and they manage fine. Even though it is a barn it is certainly dry where the tack goes and everything is kept up off the ground.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The box is 1/2" Baltic Birch ply trimmed with 1/4" cherry.

You might consider wiping or spraying rattle can shellac to seal the grain and then just wiping on one or two coats of varnish. Or brush on a WB topcoat like EnduroVar after the shellac. You'll be done in a day.

John

You can get poly in a spray can too.

Thanks. I don't really know anything about varnish, I will check out a few threads on it. I also did not think of getting poly In a spray can. I have plenty of shellac on hand. Maybe I can put a coat of that on and top it off with something in a rattle can. I have never really brushed on a finish before but maybe that's quicker/better? I got comfortable with the wipe ons and stuck with those. Never really had a need to try others.

If doing the spray can thing, I'm partial to spray lacquer. It dries quicker is more forgiving of overspraying.

Any of the rattle can solutions will get pricey quickly, so I would first soak your chest in a coat of arm r seal or poly or whatever you have on hand. Rub it in for 10 minutes all around, then wipe it all off. Once sealed, you'll have an easier go of the rattle cans and it won't feel like spraying into a black, never-absorbing hole.

Thanks, no experience with lacquer but will search a few threads. I hope to finish it this weekend.