Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying To Decide On A Dedicated TS 10" Crosscut Blade

I've used a WWII for years, have 3 of them. Worked fine, but the carbide on two blades has been less than stellar with chipping. One I have that was resharpened a year or so ago used fresh after a casual week or so had a lot of fine carbide chipping. Now using a Tenryu GM-25540 10" and believe it's a better blade to the WWII. Works great for crosscutting too.

I'd also recommend Carbide Processors. Have one of their rip blades and that thing is superb, better than the Freud industrial rip I own. I don't own a wood specific blade in the 60 to 80 tooth set, haven't needed to. The 40's work great.

I would like to make a suggestion for owners of WWII blades. When I got my first one about 20 years ago, I took it to a local sharpener who ruined it. The amount of side clearance between the teeth and the body is fairly tight, and the sharpener ground off too much. Now the blade is almost useless, as it burns everything badly. All it needed was a touch up.

I understand that some sharpeners are better than others, but my suggestion is to only send your blades to Forrest for resharpening. YMMV
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I would like to make a suggestion for owners of WWII blades. When I got my first one about 20 years ago, I took it to a local sharpener who ruined it. The amount of side clearance between the teeth and the body is fairly tight, and the sharpener ground off too much. Now the blade is almost useless, as it burns everything badly. All it needed was a touch up.

I understand that some sharpeners are better than others, but my suggestion is to only send your blades to Forrest for resharpening. YMMV
    Can you send it to Forrest to fix? Thats a shame. But yea Im not the type to try and save a buck on stuff like that. I will only be sending my Forrest blades back to Forrest.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Can someone please measure and post the dimensions of a WWII ?

Inquiring minds want to know
    Thank you.

" Joe Woodworker"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rose View Post
    Can someone please measure and post the dimensions of a WWII ?

Inquiring minds want to know
    Thank you.

" Joe Woodworker"
    My WWII is ~ 9-7/8" (never sharpened).

FWIW, my Infinity and CMT blades are ~ 10" even. The 80T Hi-ATB full kerf Infinity 010-080 "Ultrasmooth" and CMT 210.080.10 are both extraordinarily clean cutting cross cut blades....either should rival your Duraline without breaking the bank.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

^ Thank you Scott.

We have now determined that that the Freud is a full .025 less in diameter ( 0.0125 on radius) than a WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Red coating is not an issue for Sawstops. I use multiple Freud blades on mine with that coating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    On the red coating issue....a year ago,I called SawStop and specifically asked about them, as I have several. They told me there is no problem using those blades.
    Decided to give the Forrest Ply Veneer a try as a dedicated crosscutting blade. 70T, ATB and 1/8" kerf sounds like what I was after and the reviews are good. Of course it's backordered from my usual site (Acme Tools) so it'll be a bit till it comes. Oh well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I put in another vote for the Freud LU85R010. It's a very nice crosscut blade as long as you don't try to cut anything thicker than about 8/4. If you want to cut thicker stuff than that, their Cabinetmaker's Crosscut 60 tooth would be a bit better.