Thread: Whittling Knives

Whittling Knives

Just thought I would share my whittling knives that I use. I whittle little folks, ball in cages, chains, etc. I decided that I wanted to whittle with the precious little time I had, instead of sharpening, so I started using the disposable bladed hobby knives. You can get a large variety of blades and handles, and the best part, always have an extremely sharp knife. Probably blasphemy to you folks, but I like it. I have a little tool case with wood, knifes, and all other supplies I use (always bandages!), and can take it with me and whittle anywhere I am. Anyone else do this?

I buy X-acto #11 blades by the case. It's the final product that counts - not the tool! This memorial piece for my late uncle was done exclusively with a #11 X-acto knife...
    John16.jpg
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

I couldn't agree more Mike. That is a beautiful piece. What type of wood is that? I use almost exclusively basswood. WHen I get a few minutes spare time, I am going to try to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks Jay! I look forward to seeing some of your handiwork!
    That was an old piece of 1x2 pine I had laying around. Uncle John was a carver too so I thought his wife would like something like that. I gave it to her for last Christmas - her first Christmas without him...
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

When I was a kid I used to whittle some, took the fewest tools to do some woodwork. A lot of the old stuff was done by guys during the depression and is sold as " tramp art". Hope none of us ever have to take it up to get a meal.

I wittle and carve mostly with a Frost knife. Easy to keep sharp, and a great handle for my large hands. But i am a hack.
    Paul

I use disposable scalpels when I need a really sharp and fine point. Fairly cheap by the box. Sharper than xacto I think. Each has a plastic handle.
    Good for cutting out deep splinters too.

That is a great idea. Where do you get those?

Any medical supply place should have them but I bought the last ones from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP0T1HY

They are more expensive then Xacto blades but I like them better for fine work. The steel is good and can be stropped. Someone closing down a doctor's office gave me the first I had.

JKJ

Off the original topic, but maybe close enough. Do you (any of you) strop your X-Acto? I'll admit I'm cheap and I do think it makes them sharper. I'm just starting out, so I actually know nothing.

I have before, but then I started looking for blades that were clearanced out, or on deep sales, and decided that it just wasn't worth the time. But it did resharpen them.

JKJ,
    Thanks for the heads-up! I ordered some of those scalpels from Amazon and they should be here on Monday!
    Mike Schnorr