Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Problems sharpening/using PM-V11 blades

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Brian

The Kiyohisas are in a class of their own. They are very easy to hone, and yet hold an edge for such a long time. Keep in mind, however, they are slicks and do not get used in a rough manner - fine paring only.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I have similar experience at this point with the Konobu's and similarly happy with how they sharpen and how they wear. I'm not sure exactly how my Kikuhiromaru stack up against Kiyohisa (or Kiyohisa Kamon) but they're held in high regard by So and I've used them quite extensively at this point and very happy with how they wear. Which is driving my question, to some degree, I do wonder how Blue 2 would hold up against the woods you commonly use.

If I used exotics to a higher degree I would venture down that path, but HC steel does everything I need and does it very well, so I have not really ventured into blue 2 by the 3 K's.

If nothing else I'm curious as to your decision making with regard to use of blue 2 in conjunction with your use of jarrah.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 12-10-2015 at 9:12 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

If nothing else I'm curious as to your decision making with regard to use of blue 2 in conjunction with your use of jarrah.
    Hi Brian

It's not complicated. I was looking for good slicks, and So recommended Kiyohisa. Keep in mind that this was about 8 or more years ago now, perhaps 10 years, and Kiyohisa were little known in the West. There was a waiting list - I ended up being on it for 3 years (and it could have been longer), but at the time I expected about 12 months. So said that Kiyohisa was excellent, among the best, but a rising maker. I looked at his work and liked the simple aesthetic, and put in my order. Then I checked in every year or so ...

I did not think about white vs blue steel. It did not matter. It still does not matter. Some steel is just a beginning, and it is the maker of the tool that matters - how they work the steel, and create the blade.

What does matter is that these are all I hoped for in a slick. They are simple looking, but wonderfully balanced and a real joy to use. I never consider changing them for something else.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I feel similarly, the quality of maker is of top importance, and I tend to lean on makers who use white 1 and HC steel primarily because those are best for me. They sharpen easily using natural stones. So has mentioned it to me occasionally that Konobu and Kikuhiromaru both also make using blue 2 and that the steel is a good choice for exotic woods, exotics being a bit of a rare bird for me so I stick with white 1.

I'm very happy with my choices and they play well with how I use and sharpen my tools, but playing devil's advocate a bit because I see these steels like PM-V11 compared to A2, o1 and white 2.....I dont really see them compared to white 1 or blue 2....or if they have been compared I've managed to miss it. It would make sense to me to compare the PM-V11 to Blue 2.

The maker should be focused on much more in these discussions. I've used my kikuhiromaru white 1 in renovation work in addition to cabinet making and they have not even winced at being knocked through knots and such. Not abusing them by any stretch, but for all this mention of a few chops being the end of a fine edge, it has not been my experience.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.