Thread: Looking for epoxy recommendations for filling some blind knot holes in reclaimed wood

Looking for epoxy recommendations for filling some blind knot holes in reclaimed wood

I purchased a stand and made a top from reclaimed oak pallet boards. I would like to fill some blind knots, to keep them from filling up with stuff as we use the stand. We plan to put our Harbor Freight lathe on this stand, so the fill doesn't have to be perfect. I was hoping to find some epoxy at Menards, and I see they carry JB woodweld. Would this work? They also have several other epoxy types from loc-tite. Any recommendations or advise? The JB woodweld says it sets in 6 minutes, and reaches full cure in 1-3 hours. If the epoxy is chemically set, I'm guessing the thickness doesn't effect the cure time.

Justin

If you just want functionality use Bondo or Dap Plastic Wood which is stainable.

No experience with any of those brands but I would suggest you make sure the epoxy is very well mixed before filling those holes. Thickness shouldnt matter here but if you mixed a huge batch (again not going to happen here) like a quart at once you can have an exothermic reaction and build some serious heat.

Just squeeze out a tube and mix it thoroughly with a putty knife and then pour it in carefully- small cup might work best. Might be careful not to get it all over the boards if you plan to stain.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I use a surfacing resin to fill knots in cedar . It is a product called "Z-poxy". Available at hobby shops.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Bondo may be the easiest to work with. It will have enough body to fill those voids in one pass. With epoxy, you'll probably need a couple if you use it neat.

If you want to use epoxy, I'd mix up an epoxy and sawdust slurry and pack the voids with that.

Were there any tubes of "Quickwood" at Menards?
    Get a tube of dark walnut Quickwood and you'll be done in 10 minutes. Quick wood will machine just like wood. It doesn't take a stain though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)