Thread: Small red oak box

Small red oak box

I suppose the box is not too impressive for this forum, but the finish is a little different, at least for me. The color of the red oak was obtained by fuming it in ammonia. I had not done that before but was pleased with the soft brown color and how easy and uniform the color came out. All you need to do is suspend the work in a bucket with a little ammonia in the bottom and wait a few days. Put a lid on the bucket and avoid direct contact of the work to the ammonia.
    the top is katalox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-28-2015 at 10:41 PM.

I don,t know why the pic came out upside down, one would think there are enough bitheads and neerds out there to pemanently fix this recurring problem.

3. It's beautiful. Even upside down. Keep up the great work and show us more.

Jeff

Really nice looking box. You must have turned it pretty thin to get i light enough to float up to that table!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Very nice work. The form and finial are well done.

Dave - the image contained camera supplied information (metadata) that determines the orientation. I removed that information and uploaded the image back to your thread.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Dave the color of the oak is great and the top of katalox is my favorite wood for making game calls. Great outcome

To ask a dumb question what is katalox and where is it native to. Very pretty the fumed oak, I like the color, will have to try that. Thanks for posting

Thanks for the kind comments and thanks Steve for rotating the pic. I hope some others try the fuming process, or maybe its more well knwn than I thought.

dave Mc

I like it! Fuming used to be a pretty popular method of staining oak furniture. The ammonia reacts with the tannins in the wood turning it that color. Some stains try to replicate it, but nothing looks like the real thing.

Katalox is also called royal mexican ebony, so I suppose thats where it comes from. Every now and then the local woodcraft gets a few boards and I stock up. It is extremely hard and can be a little difficult to machine but its agood substitute for gaboon ebony and quite a bit less expensive and has better availability.

Dave

Nice work. I turn a fair bit of oak and usually fume it for finishing.