Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer K3 79 or 48x48

I have the 79x48, use mostly solid lumber, and the saw works great to straight line rip stock. The outrigger works great with larger panels, without it would be hard to square up the larger panels, as they get heavy to the left of the slider.

I struggled with the decision to get a shaper + saw combo back when I ordered the K3. Looking at the way I work in the shop, I thought it would have been quite a pain to switch back and forth between the shaper and saw configuration of the B3 Winner. I opted for the single-purpose machine in this case. For me, it is all about my work flow (or lack of it!).

That's kinda where I am leaning. I do have a smaller shaper I can use. It just would be nice to have the sliding table on it. I think I am going to go ahead a purchase the 79x48. I sure do appreciate all the info you guys have provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D Matson View Post
    Yes. I can remove the hinges. It's actually a 36" door but that is the measurement of everything I can't remove. It sure would make it an easier decision if I could add the shaper later. Not quite sure if I want to hold out for the shaper or not.
    Eric, buy the B3 and have the shaper.

You've already paid for the cabinet, electrical controls and sliding table, so the shaper is extremely cost effective to purchase. I highly recommend you buy the B3 as opposed to the K3.

I have the B3 Winner with the 49" slider as I'm space constrained, and have no need to crosscut anything wider than a sheet of plywood. I do use mine for straight line ripping, if I need more than 48" I use the jig that slides in the groove on the sliding table.

The scoring saw is fantastic, as well as the stock feeder on the flip up bracket, which can be used on the saw or shaper if you buy the feeder with the extended arm.

regards, Rod.

P.S. If you order the shape, purchase the 1 1/4" and the 30mm spindle. You can use your dado cutter from the saw as an adjustable groover if you have the 30mm spindle, and 30mm tooling is often on sale from Felder for less money than the non standard imperial sizes. (Most of the tooling in the world is metric).

I also use the 30mm spindle with the sanding drum.

Does anyone know if you can add the shaper option down the road?
    Hi Eric, options are factory install only, accessories you can add at any time..........Rod.

That would be a pretty good trade off to get the shorter slider and the shaper. How long of board can you straight line rip with your jig? Do you have an outrigger support or is there enough support on the table for a sheet of plywood?

That would be a pretty good trade off to get the shorter slider and the shaper. How long of board can you straight line rip with your jig? Do you have an outrigger support or is there enough support on the table for a sheet of plywood?
    Hi Eric, I have the outrigger on mine ( most of the time it hangs on the wall as I don't normally need it for solid wood).

The jig allows for an 8 foot straight line rip...........Rod.

I keep going back and forth between the B3 and K3. The reasoning is I already have a smaller shaper with around 30 various cutters for it. It is only 1.5 hp and 3/4" spindle though and only has 7000 and 10000 rpm speeds. I have thought about buying an extra spindle and modifying it to work with my 3/4" cutters. I am looking at about $2700US difference between the b3 and k3 after adding the scoring blade, multi adjustable fence, and an extra spindle. I have thought about buying the K3 and if the need arises down the road for a more production shaper buying a standalone one but it sure would be nice to have the sliding table on it.