Thread: veneer sources

veneer sources

I want to use some colored veneers as accents in cutting boards. They'll be on edge, so face grain isn't important. I want real wood though, not dyed. All I can find is either small pieces like 12" long or 8 ft slices off a log. Looking for black (Ebony maybe), red (bloodwood?) and white. Where should I look?

You can buy dyed veneer in many colors at B&B Rare Woods. Certainly Wood carries bloodwood - or used to. I doubt if you're going to find black ebony veneer - I use dyed black veneer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just curious Dave-are you planning on making curved or straight accents with the veneer?

try Joe Woodworker site lots of sizes & colors
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Any reason not to make your own?

Cut from solid wood and sand

Woodturner Frank Penta uses a LOT of colored woods as accents and overall design in his turnings. He cuts almost all of them from solid wood then runs them through a drum sander before gluing. He uses purple heart, bloodwood, oak, maple, walnut, almost anything. None if it that I saw was dyed.

I used walnut to transition between cherry and basswood both to accent and to allow robust gluing for an end grain turning blank. I sliced english walnut on the bandsaw then ran it through the Performax drum sander to smooth and flatten to uniform thickness. Worked well.

I wanted the basswood so I could do a bit of chip carving.

chip_goblets_CU.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You can buy dyed veneer in many colors at B&B Rare Woods. Certainly Wood carries bloodwood - or used to. I doubt if you're going to find black ebony veneer - I use dyed black veneer.

Mike
    Yuh they have some.

I was advised by a dyed veneer vendor that the dyes are not food safe. Not good for a cutting board.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Takae View Post
    Just curious Dave-are you planning on making curved or straight accents with the veneer?
    Curved. I'm intending to make a few of the boards designed by Scotty Lewis published in FWW a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    try Joe Woodworker site lots of sizes & colors
    Looks like it'll cost me some money. Maybe use Rosewood for the black. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Any reason not to make your own?
    I'm not equipped to make veneers that are under .030" thick.

I use 1/16" Wenge from Certainly wood for cutting board features. It look black when the oil is applied.

I buy wood and veneer here if it helps you.. http://www.forloversofwood.com/

I've made about 6 of those cutting boards for charity auctions. I've found using a 3/8 router bit that 4 plies/veneers fill the 3/8 void perfectly and they are flexible enough. So they end up being a little less than 1/8 thick. I thickness them on my lunchbox planer. Some get "eaten" along the way so I always plan on making some extra. I just use maple, walnut and cherry scraps.