Thread: T&G with a hand held router?

T&G with a hand held router?

I have to cut a tounge and groove joint on some long and wide boards for a new project, I don't have sufficient support or hold down capabilities on my router table. I want to get a t&g set with bearings and run them in a hand held router but I've never done this and am not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Blog Entries
    I prefer to create long T&G joinery with the hand held router as the small base follows the surface more accurately than trying to force long or heavy material through a fixed path past a router table mounted bit. I do this with a straight bit however and not with a set. The captured tongue when using a double cutter as used in matched sets would concern me when using a hand held router. I base this on lack of experience as I have never done it. It just seems like a hazard possibility if you erroneously tilted the motor during the operation.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I did my whole shop floor, 16 mm birch ply, handheld with a t & g set.
    I did some test pieces first to get the setting right,
    Worked great

Definitely do-able hand-held. I strongly advise an offset (teardrop) sub-base for stability.

I would prefer to cut the tongues on the t/s. Rabbit style or with a dado depending on board width.