Thread: PM 4224 won't turn.

PM 4224 won't turn.

Finally getting time to do some turning, and I did a little cleaning up on the PM. I opened the VFD box and vacuumed out old chips and may have bumped the keypad on the VFD. I was able to turn one bowl and now the digital RPM display lights up but the motor doesn't turn. I don't have the manul and don't know what parameters the VFD keypad should display. Any suggestions?? The VFD is a Delta VFD B

In my experience it would be difficult to bump the keypad and change a parameter since that requires a sequence of keystrokes. The display on the Delta VFD can be programmed to display one of several things and I don't know about your lathe, but the Delta VFD on my Jet lathes comes set to display the frequency, usually "Fxx" where xx is 00 (IF I remember correctly).

There are a number of error codes that are listed in the VFD manual. If you don't have the manual you might find one on line or if you post what you see I could look it up in my manual.

One of my Delta VFDs developed a problem where an error code was displayed and the lathe would not start. This only happened after a power outage or disconnecting. In my case I could get it to start by turning it off until I heard a click then turning it back on, repeating as needed. Eventually it quit completely and even the VFD LED display was dead. I couldn't fix it so I replaced it with a different VFD (much cheaper than a Delta.)

There was some discussion about VFD problems in another forum. You might search WoodCentral for the threads. (Is that legal to post here?) Doc Green has debugging help on his website, not for the VFD but for the control circuitry. Look under "PM Electric" in his articles list:

http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html

JKJ

Also, unplug the lathe and wait ten minutes. Then check to make sure you didn't knock a wire loose but gently tugging on each one in the box.

John

you might have knocked a wire that was not tight loose from it's connection such as the speed pot or the Forward/Reverse switch wires. I would check to see if any of the small control wires were loose (with it powered down and unplugged). If you don't find anything I would then make sure the FWD/REV switch was in stop and the speed pot was in the slowest position. Power up the lathe with the cover off the VFD so you can see the front display. If it comes up with an error code then you can work from that to see what the issue might be. If it shows F00 then I would put it in FWD and turn the pot a little to see if the display changes. If it doesn't then you may have a wire or switch issue with the pot or switch. It is possible that in vacuuming out around the VFD you created static that burned out some of the electronics in the VFD (hopefully not!).
    Sparky Paessler

Here is a link to the manual

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/d..._manual_en.pdf

chapter 6 shows the error codes and chapter 7 is on troubleshooting
    Sparky Paessler

Did you buy it new? Is it still under warranty ? Have you called
    Powermatic help?

Fixed!! Called the PM Tech support and after short diagnostic check they had me jump across the leads to the remote safety switch and all systems worked as usual. just need new switch. Thanks for all your help. Have a great Thanksgiving!! JCB.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Fixed!! Called the PM Tech support and after short diagnostic check they had me jump across the leads to the remote safety switch and all systems worked as usual. just need new switch. Thanks for all your help. Have a great Thanksgiving!! JCB.
    The remote switch seems to have a bad reputation on the Powermatic.As you found out, the tech support people know about it, but Powermatic doesn't appear to be interested in addressing the problem with a better switch. I have disassembled a couple of the switches and found that the contacts were fouled with dust. The switch isn't environmentall sealed so it is very easy for dust to get in, but because of the design, once the dust gets in there's no getting it out. Compressed air just drives the dust in deeper.
    Bill

Perhaps try to fix the switch before buying one?

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    just need new switch. JCB.
    Don't know if your situation is the same but I have fixed switches on two lathes, one just last week. In both cases the switch had fine dust inside which prevented good contact. After cleaning they worked like new. Many switches can be taken apart easily. You just need to be careful to remember how they go together and not to drop any tiny springs or ball bearings in the shavings on the floor. DAmehowiknowthat.

After cleaning, I like to seal the outside with something to minimize the chance of a repeat problem.

JKJ

Thanks for all your help. If I can fix the switch and control my OCD/anal retentive behavior and not dissassemble the entire lathe I ay get more bowls done before Xmas. Enjoy your Holidays. JCB.

John,
    Here's a tip. Put your remote switch in a plastic bag. The magnet will stick to the lathe despite the bag and dust won't get into the switch. I did it for years with no dust problems.
    faust

The switch can be disassembled, but it is not obvious. Basically the housing snaps together. Once it is open some of the parts are free to just fall out so that you will not lose tiny parts as already mentioned by John Jordan.. Getting the parts to stay put while you reassemble the switch can be a good exercise in patience. My preference is to get a better switch.
    Bill