Thread: Anyone add a Byrd head to 20 inch North State planer

Anyone add a Byrd head to 20 inch North State planer

I'm considering a used 20" planer but I'm curious if any one has replaced the head with a spiral. Either Byrd or one of the Grizzly heads. It looks like any of the Asian imports but I hate to pick up this planer if I can't get a head for it. Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,
    I know I've seen the North State head in the list and I believe they are still on sale at Grizzly. Got one for my 20" planer for under $800 on sale with veterans discount.
    Greg

I checked Grizzly's site and didn't see the North state listed, I noticed the sunhill CT 508. I assume they are all the same but I just don't want to grab this planer and the have to have a $$$ custom head made for it. I actually only "need" a 15 inch but I got thinking if I can get this 20 and add a new head for less than the new Grizzly 15 with spiral head why not!

Did you call Byrd?

Byrd can make whatever you want to pay for.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yes I did call Byrd and naturally they couldn't guarantee that their stock head that goes into the rest of the Asian look alike 4 post planers would fit and of course they could custom make one to fit. They said it takes 16 weeks minimum for a custom order and God only knows how much it will cost. I'm not opposed to dropping some coin but is it worth it? I hate throw good money at bad.....

Call Grizzly. They likely know if it will fit.