Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a new drill press

Whatever you do get one where it's easy to change the speed. On those ones where you change the speed by moving belts, you just don't do it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    do you mind used?

I have a pm1150 for sale for 425 to a creeker.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?236346-pm'-66-tablesaw-pm-1150vs-drill-press-for-sale-midland-mi/page2&p=2478269

I am in midland MI
    I have a PM1150. I would buy this if it wasn't "way too far" from me. These are great machines. Someone local to him should grab this.

Blog Entries
    Drilling a 1" hole in steel is going to be a stretch for either of those models. Personally I would not buy a drill press without a quill lock. If you do a lot of metal working, at least look at a mini-mill. Much more versatile.
    NOW you tell me...

I have a Delta 17-968 that I've had for at least 10 years with no problems. I love the variable speed and heft of this drill press. A bigger table would be nice, but there are many aftermarket solutions for that. A gear drive for rotating the table would be excellent as well, but aside from that there isn't much more I can ask for, it's a solid drill press that has proven itself over years of use.

Much to my disappointment, I believe that Delta discontinued this machine. If you can find one that is pre-owned, I'd do it.
    Last edited by Jeff Nolan; 11-21-2015 at 10:19 AM.

5. Recently there was a thread on this forum with the same question, RE PM and Delta drill presses. (I looked for it but could not get the search function to work.) In any case one of the respondents posted that the Delta 18-900 was on sale at Home Depot for $799. Another member responded that he used his Lowes 10% discount coupon to get a similar reduction on the $799.

I was contemplating purchasing the new PM and was waiting until I had motivation. The post was it and I purchased the Delta from HD with the 10% discount. I was aware of Delta's reputation and decided to take a chance. With the difference in prices I purchased a mobile base, made in USA drill bits, and the Bies fence made for this drill press.

The drill arrived in a timely manner with no damage and was easy to assemble. I measured runout during assembly and it was very very small. I wrote the numbers down but they are in the shop with the manual. Portions of the casting are "chinese" rough, but where a machined surface is important the machining is good. The belts are very easy to change. The drill press works very well.

I live in a rural area and when a used drill press becomes available it is way overpriced and in need of considerable repair. Used old iron is simply not an option and may not be for others either.

I would avoid the Reeves-type drive. Especially avoid it if your shop ever gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I'm not familiar with Delta's current offering so I pulled up the manual to review the specifications.

• Speed change: The Powermatic has a Reeves type VS (variable speed) drive with an electronic speed readout. The Delta has a quick change (?) lever to adjust the belts, no speed readout. The Delta configuration for 16 speeds is the standard three pulley ... which I find awkward.
    • !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Whatever you do get one where it's easy to change the speed. On those ones where you change the speed by moving belts, you just don't do it.

Mike
    I respect your opinion ( and that's a handsome hound in your avatar) but , it`s the work of a minute and easily done ( at least on 18-900) Not a particularly patient person, and I don`t find it to be cumbersome.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    With VFDs so cheap it is easy to source a 3 phase motor and have a VS drill press for a very modest investment. I swapped out the original motor on a 1965 General 340 press for a 2 HP motor and with a small vector drive I have a wide range of speed control with excellent low speed torque. I have a few more mods to that one to add a spindle rpm display.

I have recently acquired a late model Buffalo 18 press that I will clean up and likely do the same to as I like to use separate presses for metal and wood. I have the 3 phase motor and VFD sitting on the shelf so this will be a winter project.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

I looked at those exact two models and without a doubt narrowed it down to the Delta 18-900L. If those are the two options, that is what I recommend. Luckily, I found an old Rockwell variable speed drill press at a local school district.

Blog Entries
    Lots of advise here. Some contradictory. For me, I value quill travel, good speed range (I don't mind pulley adjustments), little runout, good depth stop, and ability to square the table properly. A plus would be a lock down on quill extension but that isn't a requirement.

What is superfluous is lasers, variable speed, and other gee-gaws. I found a 16-1/2" Delta on close-out a few years back that met the primary requirements. As others note, many older well made drill presses fit my criteria and I might have gone that way if I hadn't stumbled on to the deal on the Delta. With a simpler machine there are fewer things to go wrong and hence less dependence upon after purchase service.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I purchased the PM 2800B from Woodcraft a year ago. It has served me well. Yesterday I was drilling some holes into fir with a 2 1/2" forstner bit. It wasn't easy, but I turned the speed down to 600 and it did a real nice job. The motor would lag just a little but I kept backing in and out to let the bit cool. All in all, I was happy with the results. Can't imagine putting it to any greater test than that.

I went to local Klingspor Woodworking store today and they had their Black Friday prices reflecting the 15% discount for the weekend. I looked at he PM 2800B, $1189 + 6.75% sales tax. I also looked at the Jet 17 - 716300 (as I recall the #'s), $628.99 + 6.75% tax. Both nice machines. The depth stop on the Jet is different but feels solid. Speed changes on the PM would be preferable, however the Jet system seems fine for the frequency of speed changes I anticipate. For $560.00 difference, I'm leaning towards the Jet. I think it would suit my purposes just fine. I can put the $560.00 towards a router table or Domino Joiner I can order it from CPO for the same price, free shipping and no sales tax. However, for $42.46 I can establish a relationship with my local vendor and he's 2 miles from my house. I have to pay sales tax from Amazon in NC....Anyone see any flaws in my thinking?

Blog Entries
    The low speed limitation of 400 RPM keeps me from considering the PM . A lot of folks don't spin large bits, circle cutters and so forth so this may not be a consideration for everyone.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the PM2800, not the B, and I am not particularly thrilled with it. Quill travel is mediocre, the depth stops are aggravating, and when you turn it off, the speed indicator LED doesn't shut off. It is an upgrade from what I had, but I should have held out for the Delta... Unfortunately, the Delta wasn't available when I bought it.

Travis, sorry to hear about the issues with your PM2800. In my research I did find a lot of people that were not real happy with that model. Supposedly, a lot of issues were fixed in the B version so I'm hoping for the best. I am curious about your remark that the quill travel is mediocre though. One of the reasons that I was deciding between the PM2800B and the Delta 18-900L is they both have a 6 inch quill travel. And that is the longest I've found on drill presses in this category. And I believe the plain PM2800 also has a 6 inch travel. Have you seen drill presses that have more travel than that?