Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My furnace went south. Help, please

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    If the pilot goes out the pilot gas will go up the flue.
    Say what? Where did you learn that?
    When the pilot goes out, the gas shuts off. That's why you have a little red button to push when lighting the pilot.

No fuses anywhere. I looked because I had not thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Say what? Where did you learn that?
    When the pilot goes out, the gas shuts off. That's why you have a little red button to push when lighting the pilot.

From the Michigan Consolidated Gas worker who re-lit all the pilot lights in the house after the gas meter was replaced. I was a lad and followed him around. When he lit the furnace the pilot lit right up. When I asked about the gas when it wasn't lit, guess what he said? That's right, straight from the Gas Man's mouth.

My neighbor's house had the same system. As did the house next to his.

Little red buttons? How post WWII! Remember when the pilot on the oven would go out and the main gas stayed on filling up the house with gas? I sure do. The house in Detroit almost blew up once when that happened.

When Tony said old I'll take him at his word!

-Tom

Dude, when your furnace packs its bags and goes south in November, perhaps you should ask yourself what it knows that you don't. Lay in a stock of hot chocolate, or follow it to Florida.

I'm just sayin'.....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I'm thinking about that.

Many companies will do a free inspection, as does the gas company.
    If you call a service company, be prepared for a sales pitch. Research the company you call, first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    From the Michigan Consolidated Gas worker who re-lit all the pilot lights in the house after the gas meter was replaced. I was a lad and followed him around. When he lit the furnace the pilot lit right up. When I asked about the gas when it wasn't lit, guess what he said? That's right, straight from the Gas Man's mouth. My neighbor's house had the same system. As did the house next to his. Little red buttons? How post WWII! Remember when the pilot on the oven would go out and the main gas stayed on filling up the house with gas? I sure do. The house in Detroit almost blew up once when that happened. When Tony said old I'll take him at his word! -Tom
    Of course he said Propane...and propane is heavier than air and just fills up your house bottom up... That's why you're not supposed to bring those big propane tanks in your house where they leak until they get up to a spark.....