Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jessem Mast-R Lift Excel II

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Donahue View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, just a couple of clarifying questions:
    1. did you use some existing holes(made by Jessem) in the phenolic top or did you drill your own?
    2. if you drilled your own holes, did you do that freehand or in a drill press? Any special bit or technique involved?
    3. Did you use a special screw to attach the flanges to the top?

I am hesitant to drill into the top as I have not worked with phenolic before. From what I can learn, it seems like a difficult material to machine. I was thinking about mounting some strips like you did, but with epoxy which I read can be used to join wood to phenolic. I would prefer to attach with screws if I can do this confidently.

Thanks for your help!

Joe
    Hey Joe,

I did not use any existing holes in the top because there weren't any located near where I needed to make the attachment. I drilled the holes freehand and sized them just slightly smaller than the thread diameter of the screws. Running screws into a phenolic top is tough, because there's very little "give" to the material. It drills just fine with standard drill bits - just be careful about not drilling too deep. I selected the screw length so that about 1/2" of the screw threads went into the phenolic material. Ran them in by hand. I too, thought about using epoxy, but really wanted to avoid making a permanent connection. Just used a heavy gauge sheet metal screw - #10x1". It was actually pretty easy - just took a little more care than usual to get it right.

2. David - thanks for the clarification, all of that makes a lot of sense and I feel like that is something that I can do. Really appreciate your help, will let you know how it goes. I am in the process of rebuilding my woodshop after it has been in storage for 15+ years so there are a lot of simultaneous things going on such as electrical circuit installation/dust collection system construction/machine setup/lighting/tool layout/etc, but dust collection is a top priority for me, and this is one of the main reasons I am upgrading my router table, for better dust collection.