Thread: Just acquired a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe. Sharing space in the woodshop

Just acquired a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe. Sharing space in the woodshop

I have owned operated metal working equipment before but not in the same working space as my woodworking equipment. Eventually, I will disassemble, restore and repaint. I plan to use a tarp to cover the lathe when not in use to try to protect it from the fine wood sanding dust that settle on everything. May be time for a down draft work station. Any suggestions?
    100_1897.jpg

A lot depends on how much dust you're talking about. My Logan 14"X40" will get a fine dust on it, I just brush the ways and lead screw off before I use it. That, along with the felt wipers on the carriage do the job for me. A tarp in my shop would be an invitation to a spider invasion.

If your back gears are exposed then a cover is probably a good idea.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice new toy, Gary. If it HAS to live in the wood shop, definitely keep it covered well. Sawdust will greatly accelerate wear on the ways and gears, and make a real mess if you keep the ways oiled. But you'll have a lot of fun with it.

+1 what the other guys said. My new Southbend also shares space with my woodworking tools as well as my small mill. Oil and sawdust do not play well with each other. I have a dust collector as well as air cleaners. That helps a lot. I still have to clean my mill regularly to get the gunk off, but we do what we have to do in small shops. Have fun.

The lathe stays covered unless I am running. I have the bug to buy a Bridgeport now. With floor space at a premium, I plan to complete my ukulele orders and part with the woodworking machines in favor of metal working machines.