Thread: Shop Move

Shop Move

I haven't posted in forever I'm giving some thought to moving from Southern California to the greater Rochester, NY area. My current shop is cramped in a 2 car garage. I would build a new larger shop up there in NY. Any advice as to the construction? My current arrangement is 20 x 23 and houses \:

3hp cabinet saw
    Mini Max 16" bandsaw
    Mini Max 12 jointer planer
    25" woodmaster drum sander,
    Floor drill press,
    Jet vertical oscillating belt sander
    Floor standing spindle sander
    Router table.
    German style wood bench.
    Wood rack
    Oneida collector with all of the duct plumbing
    60 gal vertical compressor.
    The last two are in a closet I built.

I'm so looking forward to a bigger shop but am not sure about what size, construction in that climate etc.

Thoughts??

Have you first checked for any building restrictions. That might limit your choices.

Insulate to the max! Thick walls.

A good start:
    30X40X12
    Radiant floor heat
    Join garagejournal forums
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 11-17-2015 at 4:01 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Put in twice as many electrical circuits and outlets as you think you will need.

I would hire either Amish or Mennonites and have them build a shop or pole barn once you've got a design you want. I would have more windows on the North wall for plenty of natural light. I would have 2x6 or equivalent for the walls for insulation and loads more for the ceiling. I agree with Larry on the outlets, have more than you think you'll need so you can move tools around and not be limited because a 220v outlet isn't where you need it.

What part of Rochester are you thinking?

I appreciate the responses. I took the time to read through this forum, which I should have done before. I think the advice on the size of the shop and number of electrical outlets was great. I didn't consider windows on the north side but I will now. Thanks. Good comment on the Amish help. I'm about to enter in the planning stage,

Got to love the Amish cool aid....

The frost line in Rochester is probably close to Oswego which is 48" so the foundation costs are higher than you would expect. Breaking ground for a new home or shop is not possible in the Winter in Oswego so it may be the same in Rochester. I mention this because most of us don't even consider the kinds of problems that are common in the extreme northern area of the country. I remember that they didn't bury people in the Winter in Oswego.

The above ground costs are more obvious based on the average Winter temperatures. I'm not sure that I would agree with the windows on the North side, when the big storms come across the Great Lakes from the north the lake effect snowfalls can be impressive. Since the Winters are so long up North and snow can be as common as sunshine in the South you might not get much sun though a north-side window for many months.

Someone from Rochester will be able to provide more accurate information, my experience living in Oswego New York which was just a couple hours east of Rochester as I recall may be a bit different as I lived just three city blocks from Lake Ontario in the mid 1980's.

Blog Entries
    What Keith says is right on the money. Though Rochester is a bit farther from the lakes, they still get snow and lots of cold temps. Frost can penetrate as deep as 48". We get winter starting in mid to late November and it can last until April. Then there is about a month of mud season. More insulation is better and thermopane windows pay back quickly. Heat is expensive. NY has a state building code so check before you start building and you will also need permits.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute