Thread: Ohio Tool Company Plow plane

Question Ohio Tool Company Plow plane

Anyone out there able to pass on info on Ohio Tool Company plow planes? I was given one by my wife and before I put work into it, I want to figure out if 1) it is worth it and 2) if it is a good idea value wise. The plane is dirty as all get out and needs a good soap and water cleaning. The threads all appear to be in good shape. It is a bit difficult in its current condition to figure out what kind of wood it is made from. I should add it is a screw arm with a closed tote. It has a clear Ohio Tool Company stamp in the front along with the numbers 101. On the side and top it is stamped C.M. Hobbs (owner?). There is some surface rust and a nick in the iron, but it looks like it can be cleaned up and sharpened. Is it worth the effort, of should I keep using my Stanley 45?

Dan,

Is the skate straight? Do the irons fit? Does the wedge fit?

I'm not a fan of Stanley 45's, If the answer to the above three questions is yes then it will be a better plow plane than a 45 and worth the effort to restore.

Photos would help.

ken

Yes to all three. Wedge looks like there is a small piece missing at the end, maybe. There is so much dirt and tobacco tar on it that it is hard to tell.

I have a reproduction of a c1910 Ohio Tool Company (catalogue No. 23) that depicts all the "plows" available during that time frame. In the index it actually calls that type of plane a "panel" plane. Of course it does not give any present day value, only what the catalog number was and the price at that time period.

I personally have an Ohio plow plane #96 (it is stamped on the front) which is an unhandled Beech, screw stop, boxed fence with 8 irons that originally sold for $5.85. It cost me $165.00 at the Tool Shop above Roy's Woodwright's shop. I have seen them priced from $100 without irons to $200.00 in perfect shape with all irons.

Hope this helps.

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

The Ohio Tool Company plow planes are fairly collectable and have a great reputation. They made a quit a few so they are not extremely expensive, but in good shape can fetch $100 or more. It sounds like yours is well worth the effort.

I don’t have any info on the wooden plows specifically, but here is some information I’ve gathered on the company if you’re interested, http://www.timetestedtools.com/ohio-tools-planes.html
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

i have a 101 and use it regularly. if it is in good shape it is all the plow you could ask for. i have seen several posts complaining about the fence racking, but have had no issues.

Now all I need to do is find a few irons for it. It only had one and it is something like 7/16. It did clean up very nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Carroll View Post
    Now all I need to do is find a few irons for it. It only had one and it is something like 7/16. It did clean up very nice.
    Pictures?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)