Thread: gum tree blanks

gum tree blanks

Well me nephew sent me up some logs from some gum trees he cut down and I worked on cutting them into blanks today. Out of the four logs I ended up getting 13 blanks some of which I will get 16" bowls out of. Rough turned one of them this evening. Have never turned gum before but it turned really well. Also got a new (to me) turning machine they brought up with them with the wood. A old South Bend 9c metal lathe in great shape with all the gears and accessories!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

metal lathe nice , I have no such luck. we have black gum and it does turn well I found some that was heavily spalted but not spongy it has made some interesting patterns in the bowls. It was not bad in the tear out and sands easy also.

Take all precautions like endseal. This stuff loves to warp like crazy but is beautiful when finished. I suggest roughing out, waxing andwaiting 6 months or 12 % MC.

Wow, from what many of my friends have said, I thought that sweetgum was one wood to avoid. I'm having a large one cut down near my place and was going to have it hauled away-and I'm a hoarder of wood.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    Wow, from what many of my friends have said, I thought that sweetgum was one wood to avoid. I'm having a large one cut down near my place and was going to have it hauled away-and I'm a hoarder of wood.
    I thought the same until recently when I got to turn a heavily spalted piece that was already dried when I received it. Without spalting, it might be a little plain in many cases, but it turns and finishes very nicely. It's no walnut, mind you, but still worth using.

image.jpg

I think it gets a bad reputation because it's so difficult to dry without splitting (or warping in the case of boards).