Thread: Can anyone ID this oil stone?

Can anyone ID this oil stone?

I wish Mr. Weaver was around because I know he would be able to tell something about this stone, whether or not I should throw it in the trash or if it is an actual Washita of some sort. I am truly not at all up on my different types of oil stones but see one every once in a while over at The Tool Barn that I decide to bring home. I like water stones for 90% of my edges but I have some gouges and molding plane irons that just require the hardness of oil stones. So I have been grabbing a couple stones for this purpose but am still not that happy with what I have. I just got done getting this stone somewhat flat and cleaned off, it was dished incredibly bad and had a thick layer of black slurry that made it completely unrecognizable. If anyone could tell me what this stone is just by this picture I would really appreciate it.

oil stone.jpg

Hi Tony,

I am not the expert on these, and there are guys on this site who have forgotten more about oil stones than I will ever know...But...that sure looks a great deal like a Washita stone that I have owned since high school.

Stew

I'm with you missing David around here.

on the stone, I have a similar looking stone that came in a wood box with an ink stamp that said washita, but I realistically think mine is a soft Arkansas. Yours appears to have more mottling than mine, based on one of David's YouTube videos that would be more characteristic of a washita IMHO.

Bob

Could be washita. Looks pretty good.